Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

They’re flying off the lots at over msrp.

Taking as many orders as they can at a huge discount us the only way the dealers can hope to have any inventory units in the next 6 months.

1 Like

The concept of the getmedone buyer has been around as long as the business itself.

Some people will pay whatever is put in front of them no matter how ridiculous.

3 Likes

Meanwhile, this popped up on my crypto newsfeed, because everyone compares everythign to bitcoin now: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/26/bubblicious-used-car-prices-rising-faster-than-bitcoin-jim-bianco-warns-.html

So the media is still talking about used car prices, and I know dealers have been paying more for trades because that’s the market. Will be interesting to see who’s holding the bag on the other end (looking at your CarMax). Very brand-dependent I think too, as noted above.

1 Like
1 Like

More editorializing of the same KPMG report, including calling a bottom (assumes facts not in evidence) and telling people not to panic. For clicks :point_down:t2::keyboard:

3 Likes

7 days later they are down to 3 cars on their used lot. Not sure if they were brought or sold to auction though.

Easier to call or a downturn or a bubble brust than to suggest it will keep going up as no one will hold them accountable if it doesn’t brust

This isn’t a usual bubble cause everyone says it’s gonna burst. There isn’t a Bear Stearns selling credit default swaps betting used car prices stay high. No serious banks or consulting firms are saying this is the new normal. It’s just when prices come down to earth.

Unfortunately it’s very likely the only people that are gonna get burned are consumers holding loans for way more than the value of their vehicle.

Out of curiosity, your recent deal sheets don’t seem to include Camrys or Corollas. Is this because inventory on them is even tighter than everything else or are you just focusing on the cars people actually want - namely trucks and SUVs?

3 Likes

Yes. Sadly.

Kinda worse than the subprime loans. It really will impact the car market for years to come one way or another

1 Like

Camrys and corollas are a buy 100%. I wouldn’t recommend leasing at current pricing

2 Likes

Imagine the people borrowing money from the parents 401k so they can offer 100k over appraisals on real estate! That’s gonna cause some family tension if that bubble bursts…

7 Likes

You telling me real estate doesn’t just keep going up up & up?

But in reality i blame both the parents & the kids who haven’t learned anything from 2008.

2 Likes

1960s era shacks are being sold here in San Diego for 1.3 in original condition.

4 Likes

The house is worth 30% more than what we paid back in ‘04, looking at leaving Hershey for lower taxes.

1 Like

Forever*

*except that one time

3 Likes

Ohh just that 1 time :person_facepalming::person_facepalming:

How about 40+% from 2017…

That’s it?

There’s places with +30% YoY.

1 Like

Family overpaid :sneezing_face: , was 2004.

1 Like

Get out get out get out

2 Likes

My place in Florida doubled in 2 years. Some waterfront properties are selling for double yoy here. It’s absolutely insane.

Of course I know that a lot of these deals are money laundering and bribes down here too.

5 Likes