Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

I remember reading posts about how good the carmax warranties could be for low mileage cars - wonder if these could be a good option

So can we close this thread until further news lol :laughing:

You forgot
6. How do I get rid of this car I hate and now has negative equity.

3 Likes

https://wolfstreet.com/2023/01/16/hangover-time-for-used-vehicle-dealers-for-buyers-patience-will-pay-off/

Wholesale prices – reflecting the cost for dealers – have dropped 15% year-over-year in December, according to Manheim, the largest auto auction house and a unit of Cox Automotive.

Retail prices have dropped too, but have been stickier than wholesale prices, as dealers are trying to hold the line and slow-walk this process.

The average used-vehicle listing price dropped just 4.3% in December from the peak in April, to $27,140, roughly unchanged from November, and down 3.8% from a year ago**, according the. But that’s far less than the 15% drop in wholesale prices**.

Yeah, I have mentioned this a couple times. These dealerships and resellers are playing a big game of chicken. The longer they wait to wholesale their inventory, the more risk they are taking on. My opinion they are going to end up on the losing end. They all paid sky high prices for their inventory and values continue to plummet. Ask for a trade-in quote from these dealers, you will see what they really think used car values are at. It isn’t anywhere near what they have their used inventory priced at.

13 Likes

Wait until they have to rollover debt that’s currently at 3-4% to 7-8%. That will make all business very interesting. And it’s coming soon…

8 Likes

good, let them bubble out

Then the banksters cry that the system will implode if we don’t do bail ins this time. The fed does their bidding as always and the middle class continues to get shafted. Same thing over and over again, but this time the dollar is going to be replaced by a CBDC leading to the biggest heist ever perpetrated on us. If we’re lucky they will do all that without the use of war, famine and pestilence. But I expect all of the above this time around. This debt bubble popping won’t be pretty. Hope I’m wrong but the math doesn’t lie…

4 Likes

Toyota, Kia, and Hyundai are still playing games and charging thousands over. Toyota’s APR on excellent credit is over 8% for 72 months. But to their credit, inventory is very limited.

1 Like

The scenario you point out is one possibility though a bail in scenario is much easier after they get their cbdc instituted. Any wide scale bail in attempt before that will cause the mother of all bank cash runs imploding every economy tied to the dollar. We aren’t Cyprus, and the damage cannot be contained from such an event.

Just like they ran Covid to paper over the catastrophe in the repo market in late 2019 into 2020 they will do some more QE and printing for the next banking apocalypse.

At this point everything is on the table. It may turn out alright but hope is the worst strategy. Land, food, power, heat, brass, and lead should be in everyone’s portfolio. These Bolsheviks are mostly clinically insane and will do anything to keep power.

3 Likes

Everything from Toyota can be had at msrp if patient/willing to travel. Many vehicles are now under msrp. I’ve not seen an apr over 8% for anyone with tier 1. They run special rates on certain cars every month. Many are 3-6% this month. Just did a pro Tacoma for 6.3% with no special rate.

Not to mention I don’t have any dealers that force Toyota bank on the buyer, so they can bring whatever financing they want. As for Kia just the telluride is the only thing I can’t get at msrp.

Problem reaction solution. They will have the people begging for cbdc (to save what’s left of their savings) when the time comes. Using force was a pre 21st century tactic, technology/information along with extreme subversion in govt is the new weapon of choice. Social credit systems, neurolink, UBI all terms being thrown around now to normalize and condition people for what’s to come. They will throw the politicians under the bus and blame the constitution for all the problems created, then offer their new system to “save us”. That new system will erase sovereignty of nations for a global government.

5 Likes

8.6% loan for 60 months on a Sienna with TFS. 860 credit score . Yes, 860. Finance mgr said “I’ve never seen a score this high before”

3 Likes

More than likely first time buyer, OR someone with a BK on file, I’ve seen people with BK’s on year 6 have 750+ scores and still can’t get a credit card.

That’s usually the consequence of having previously burnt the bank that they applied for.

Used to see it on the MyFICO forums where people would get decline letters back from AMEX spelling out the “reasons you suck”.

I was browsing broker deals and came across some crazy deals on '22 Audi etron GTs. Who would have thought a year ago we will see any such discounts?

To me it means we have exited peak insanity. I get it that this listing is not for used cars, but it is great to see dealers/brokers offering huge discounts on new cars again.

5 Likes

I’ve seen big discounts on the etron gt for a few months now. Including the rebate on this one, it’s actually lower than several I’ve seen so far. This specific car (along with some like the new SL) aren’t indicative of the market

At this rate you may as well put it on your credit card. All joke aside the 14 months 0% interest credit card checks may not be a bad idea especially if the fee is 3% or less.

2 Likes

The website isn’t accurate unless they’re the special rates honestly and it’s also regional. Im at 6.9% on Sequioa this month for tier 1 in PA with 90% LTV.

If a dealer is forcing 9.6% they’re making like 3-4k on the back end. Can always just refi it and they lose that $$$. Dealers that are selling Sequioa at msrp usually always force warranties or financing to make more on it I’ve noticed.

4 Likes