Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

So it’s a toss-up. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Chances are, it will.

The Porsche halo covers more than just the 911.

Porsche models with VAG stablemates like Cayennes and Macans hold value better AFAIK.

3 Likes

Not if you heart truly longs for a Panamera, no. Get the car you want and stop worrying about your bmw subscriptions ending / all the features turning off.

1 Like

Haha valid concerns, but ask anyone who knows Toyota well…they’re plans are secretive and they are masters at the art of redirection. Everyone thought Toyota was behind decades and then suddenly this appears. Vehicles at every single segment you can name. This is not counting Lexus vehicles and TMC abilities to vertically integrate second best to Tesla.

Their is a lot of money to be made in the EVsphere and a lot of capital going towards addressing issues that in years past were talking points and maybe valid concerns.

Toyota and Honda bet against EV’s and now they are sweating it. Also, it’s not like anyone said the switch to EV’s had to happen overnight. It’s not like Sweden switching from driving on the left to driving on the right at midnight. It will take decades. All the while the technology will likely advance to where the hindrances of today won’t apply.

7 Likes

Those are all computer renders. I bet most of those things are 5-10 years away if they get made at all. But currently they seem to be struggling to produce even the rav4 prime at scale.

2 Likes

You aren’t wrong. :slight_smile:

It has occurred to me, though, that I am drawn to a Panamera because I regret not getting one in 2011.

I haven’t driven a current generation Panamera, or a Taycan, or an EtR-oN gT, but the latter two strike me more as cars I’ll look back from 2033 and regret not getting. :stuck_out_tongue:

At the risk of stating the obvious (since you see this going on inside my head), I make some personal decisions in slow motion.

1 Like

Is this thread about the state of the used car market

2 Likes

One or two of them will survive the shakeout.

Idk where i read it but Tesla is stopping option to buy in new leases signed after 4/22.

I’m not sure how it will help them in short term but if the prices fall, they will be not happy campers if they can’t unload the used ones.

Basically banking on future production issues.

1 Like

That’s reasonable but we can also overshoot in the short term and hurt ourselves. We as a world have tried to move away too much from oil and nat gas in the short term and it’s basically completely tying everyone’s hands in Europe now with regard to Russia.

So you can be forward looking while also not completely abandoning the thing that will keep you afloat the next 10-20 years. Though yes it’s usually reasonable to overshoot in the direction of a correction. Will be curious how the EV battery materials will shake out supply wise, if we can find more efficient uses , etc.

What’s tying European countries hands in regards to the Russian invasion is the over reliance on Russian gas. If Germany for instance had been more aggressive to move towards renewables 10 years ago, the country would now be able to turn off Russian gas instead of paying for Putins war by sending him hundreds of millions of Euros every day.

Them being more aggressive on that front is pretty much impossible. The elimination of nuclear plants in Germany is going to go down as a historical blunder.

Renewables can be your answer long term, but they really aren’t it right now. Doubling down on it now doesn’t help.

3 Likes

Hence my point that it should have started years ago.
Nuclear is a separate discussion, but Yale and Stanford just released a study that show the US could be 90% renewable by 2035 … if we put the right incentives and policies in place right now.
I know that’s not gonna happen, but it’s important to remember that it CAN happen if the political will is there.

3 Likes

I am not at all worried about these cars making their residuals.

Even a salvage Tesla that’s been crippled by the mothership (No Supercharging) busts the ultra conservative RV’s set by USB/Tesla Leasing.

1 Like

https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-your-vehicle-lease-ending-soon-heres-what-to-do-next-11649928600

1 Like

:point_up:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/rivian-ceo-warns-of-looming-electric-vehicle-battery-shortage-11650276000

3 Likes

More EV flips incoming? :sweat_smile:

5 Likes