Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

EVs wont make sense unless the charging station at available in ones house is working. If you have to supercharge everywhere its not worth it.

Areas with new development seem to have the highest amount of teslas as they’re coming in std charging kit.

2 Likes

Not necessarily true.

If your commute is short you can charge overnight on standard 110v (5-6 hours really).

Doing that currently with 2 EVs. Thought about installing L2 but have not needed it.

Been doing this for over a year now.

5 Likes

Thats awesome. How long is the commute tho?

Fast Home charging makes the one big talking point and valid concern null, and thats what developers are adding or suggesting to customers install during the planning phase in these developments. The growth rate of 220v+ charging in new developments will push EVs to the forefront. ICEV/HEV will be for those in apartments and rentals where adding a charge point is not easy.

220V isn’t all that fast with the new 300 mile cars.

1 Like

Maybe but having the convenience of 220+ charging is enough to tame the range anxiety folks in alot of commutes scenarios.

There was a point in time that the Prius Plug in PHEV was a pretty attractive lease, at least in New York. I believe it was sub 200 when it came out (2015? 2016?) paired up with whatever incentive NY state was offering. It wasn’t a bad little car but the plug in range left a bit to be desired.

1 Like

I was doing this for years. My longer commute makes that close to impossible now but I’m fortunate to have free level 2 charging at work. I usually just top it off over the weekend to be on the safe side with any surprise trips that might come up.

1 Like

Big time…like many things, they were exciting when new, but after so many going slow (autopilot) in the fast lane, just like Prius back in the day, it becomes uglier every mile. HOV, before it was HOV, was the FAST lane…folks with stickers on their cars need to remember that.

Versus the folks without stickers who are driving slow in that lane…:slight_smile:

1 Like

That would be a grandpa like me, cut us some slack, man. But once my bladder fills, outtamyway!

Seriously, Tesla has a strange way of self-slowing when someone merges in front of it, the way a normal driver would NOT react, and its frustrating being behind one, having to react to a Tesla, reacting in a robotic way to something ahead of it. It’s hard to describe, but it happens to me all the time…plenty of space between the merger and the Tesla, but the Tesla auto-slows to open a huge gap, and I gotta hit the brakes.

Actually I meant the guys who are in the lane…illegally…but yes once the need hits you gotta hit the speed…/lol

It is at 72-80A.

Just sucks that most cars are only shipping with 48A max.

I’m only illegally in the HOV lane about half the time, but I’m flyin. :wink:

1 Like

Dang, I would have to change my panel completely to support it. I think the whole house is a 100A draw max…haha.

2 Likes

Most SFRs built in the 60s-90’s only have 100A service panels. A friend of mine needed a new panel (early 60’s home) installed as part of a sell, and put in a 200A for the new owner, anticipating EV adoption. I don’t believe it was that much more to do that upgrade.

2 Likes

This offer just got bumped up to $72.5k! Btw this is a Model Y with no FSD, it just has white seats and blue paint as a $2.5k add-on to the base price.

1 Like

That’s hard to pass up

What was the damage for the 200 amp panel? I assume it was simply a panel slap rather then a whole house rewire (or at least inspection of the wiring condition).

Happened last summer, but IIRC labor was about $700, and the upgraded panel and parts were about $250. Some stucco had to be patched, but otherwise straightforward. edit: no i don’t recall her saying any new wiring was added, but she had failed a resale inspection based on her 100A service versus all of the electrical appliances in the house now (she was right at the margin).

Wow, was in that in CA? I couldn’t even get my EV plug installed for less than $300