Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

$5k is too much for an entire RAV4.

10 Likes

Is the exotic/high end used market slowing down? Prices still are the same, but it seems like there are more cars available than usual. Basing this solely on a couple cars I have been paying attention to.

Wonder if the colder weather has something to do with that. Now that summer’s over, people offloading their “fair weather” exotics.

3 Likes

The groups on Facebook still have insane pricing on exotics. There does seem to be more listings bc of winter coming but I don’t see pricing dropping. Florida, cali and texas have enough buyers and money to take all that supply I’m sure.

I’ve been waiting to buy something nice but I refuse to pay msrp for a 2-3 yr old car. Or the insane prices on 5-7 yr old stuff.

There’s like small pockets of insanity even more inexplicable than the broader insanity.

Like someone apparently bought out a QX60 I grounded after three GMs refused to buy it because it was so far underwater.

Just got a check back for all MSD plus $2xx

4 Likes

why did you ground it and not contact a professional on this forum for assistance?

2 Likes

Maybe it’s the different market, but last Friday, I just sold a leased 2019 QX60 Luxe that was due next March to Autonation for $71xx equity.

Autonation was offering a small amount above payoff and I was definitely interested because it would have saved me on disp, miles, etc. But the buyer ended up being kinda incompetent, eg every other question was answered with “I have to check with someone else and they’re out today.”

2 Likes

Makes sense

Late model QX60s have increased 10-20% over the last 60 days. I wrote my impending March '22 return off as a grounded vehicle return, but now there is actually a few thousand of potential equity* (* given I am in South Florida and would have to find a Nissan/Infiniti dealer that is reasonable)

Given the insanity in the market, it was reaching the point where the mid-size QX60s were actually underpriced given viable 3rd row flexibility, some level of Infiniti faux-luxury value and the 4/60K warranty.

We just bought ours out. We had about $7K in equity per the AutoNation trade in quote as well + $3200 MSD on top.

However, we just couldn’t find anything in stock / worth it right now so this is basically a 2 year punt on making a decision.

I don’t expect there to be any popping of this bubble that will be obvious before retrospect, but by definition the arms race of buyers outbidding each other has to end at some point.

Now that you own it, you can sell it to anyone. Some of the new kids on the block might offer more than AN. For now.

Order something and monetize that equity.

3 Likes

This seems to be the path of least resistance right now. If you can identify a good candidate and order with a refundable deposit, it’s pretty simple to avoid a lot of the mark up craziness right now.

You just have to be patient. I’ve got two vehicles on order right now and don’t expect to see either until at least Feb.

2 Likes

Wife didn’t like Palisade. Toyota not allowing orders on Sienna. MDX too small in third row. Dealer not allowing QX60 orders either.

1 Like

What have you ordered?

4xe + Carnival

2 Likes

What’s “Carnival”? I only know Carnival cruise line.

1 Like

1 Like

Is it a minivan? Is it an SUV? Not a bad looking something :grin:

If you ask the Kia marketing department, they’ll tell you it’s an MPV (multi purpose vehicle), but yah, it’s a minivan styled to appease the typical suv buyer. It’s basically a telluride/palisade with sliding doors.

3 Likes

It’s like Bruce Banner was a Sienna, and then he got angry :rofl:

1 Like