Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

Thats where HEVs and PHEVs really shine. They are available now at a price most automakers can survive on.

Ask say a decade from now, where the cheaper Model 2 or a profitable alternatives are available or say charging infrastructure vastly improves not so much.

I’ll take what you say as the truth. If that’s the case, then EVs and PHEVs will remain a luxury for homeowners or those that have free or discounted charging. This seems like a short term scheme if the only cost mitigating factor of an EV is charging in the middle of the night when rates are low or buying one with subsidized charging prices.

I personally see a market for this, but apparently my personal use case is only served by driving gas cars until the infrastructure hits the point that charging is as quick as filling my gas tank. Or driving an EV and adding inconvenience to my life.

1 Like

There was a $2xx Murano posted recently and a Sienna at MSRP

1 Like
1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: EQB & EQE data points

Yes we can confidently say the great 2021-2022 car bubble is over. Mods please lock the thread and mark as solved :slight_smile:

5 Likes

2 Likes

can we get a few years of data to compare for every brand?

this chart doesn’t really tell me anything about how it was back in 2010 upto 2019 where I might call the time in-between last economic woes

Last Aug I purchased a 2022 BMW X5 45e
The X5 40 ICE started at 63,895
The X5 45e started at 64,695

So for $800 “more” I got the PHEV, with a $7500 rebate and about $2000 for an at home charger and install. I did all the math when we bought it and I want to say it was around $2 to charge overnight to get 30 mi of electric range. The ICE engine is 20 mpg or about $6 for the same 30 miles. 75% of the driving now at about 10k miles was in electric. Those days when I have to drive 100 miles I do the first 30 in electric and the remaining 70 miles in gas. No stopping for a 30 min electric charge. I’m in the Philly otter suburbs where there is charging but its not the most convenient. I found the PHEV to be very convenient, cheaper than the ICE and overall the best value for the X5.

2 Likes

This is a good chart if accurate.

Shows you what brands either sell more or are having supply issues.

Here is the pre-covid data

1 Like

so right now we are at 58% right, cus the National bar on your old graph says the average is around 55 days?

1 Like

Yeah EV with uncle joe subsidy are just amazing deals,

I’ve just been pissed that only the homeowner gets the benefit/luxury of being able to correctly use it.

1 Like

lol it ain’t a luxury. Electric bills are crazy right now.

1 Like

if you have a house for an EV, you should have solar, if you don’t then you losing on them sweet sweet uncle joe subsidies and nice passive ROI and free electricity in 6-8 years.

1 Like

Solar panels mess up clay tiles :smiling_face_with_tear: Like the color fades away

1 Like

3 Likes

I would love to get solar but in my area payback is 9-10 yrs (was 11-12 yrs before Elec rates started rising) not including any maintenance. Not sure I’ll be in the house that long and with the limited data I’ve seen doesn’t really seem to add to the value of the house it’s just a feature that makes it easier to sell.

1 Like

Even without an EV solar would pay for itself in pool heating expense (assuming you aren’t heating w gas)

1 Like