Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

There are some sparse looking lots I’ve seen around me with the signs outside again screaming “WE BUY CARS!” And I’ve received more than a few “see what your car is worth” emails.

Strong job market + inflation and a continued production rate thats 2-3m vehicles annually under production pre COVID and this isn’t surprising.

Was able to sell the truck I just leased over a year ago back to a GM dealer for payout.

In January, all the offers I was getting were $38k or less. In the last 2 weeks, I got 2 offers for $41k+.

Weird.

1 Like

My offer from Carvana back in January was $41 for my 224xe Rubi and just got an email from them 2 days ago offering $6289 more. LOL… used car market seems about as stable as crypto

5 Likes

Peak insanity might be over, but there are still some cars selling for insane prices. Last night I went with my Dad to pick up his new 2023 Tahoe RST. While chatting with the finance guy, he revealed to us that they bought a used Escalade V Series with 1,800 miles. Original MSRP was in the $150ish range. They bought it for $217K and have a buyer lined up at $240K + Tax. OH MY LORD!

12 Likes

Props to the dealership for having someone lined up before buying that Caddy.

5 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: “Should I buy out my lease?” super-thread

PPP loan program still running?

2 Likes

Sure seems like it. Also, loans became grants real quick.

Sickening.

2 Likes

I keep asking myself who in their right mind has been paying these used car prices. I was in shock when I sold my charger last year how much I got for it

The majority of people do little to no price research when buying a car. They don’t understand that they’re highly negotiable, they get excited when the dealer knocks $1000 off list price, thinking they got a “deal”. It’s fascinating to me that people spend what they do as well, and they do it every 3-5 years!

14 Likes

Me like shiny thing.

6 Likes

The buyer tasked them with finding him the truck and getting it delivered to CT. Stand alone Chevy dealer a few exits up 95 from us.

Massive market share drop for Toyota and Tesla price drop hugely successful thus far.

9 Likes

Toyota isn’t offering great leases, high interest rates, lack of incentives and many dealers aren’t discounting from msrp (many still above). I can totally see why they lost market share as shoppers are psychological and want a discount. Which is why cdjr has a great business model. High msrp and artificial discounts to give the illusion of a deal…

12 Likes

Brutal % for BMW

4 Likes

At the moment, Toyota has a supply issue, not a demand issue, correct?

3 Likes

Watch upward revision in MB Q1 2023 numbers…

Jelly Beans GIF

Supply has been an issue since covid. So that shouldn’t be why they’re down yoy. I think it’s purely bc of the reasons I mentioned.

2 Likes

Just sold my 2018 RX 350 with 18,XXX miles. RV was 23,XXX. Got the following offers:

• Carvana: 32,XXX
  • Vroom: 33,XXX
  • Carmax: 35,400
  • KBB: 37,300
    I negotiated the KBB offer to 38K. The car had a small scratch on the rear bumper and needed new tires per the dealer.
9 Likes