Want to lease a VW Golf

whatever :wink: [20 chars]

I did have a CC that required 4 visits to fix failed transmission within first 3-4 months, so wasn’t too concerned with what they may say if I missed service. I traded it in with 6 month left and under mileage anyway.

Well, I have passat with recall on airbag so I won’t worry about the service in this case. Thanks for sharing that info.

I have been after a Golf manual for a couple of months. I online shopped Northern California and the Sacramento area. There simply aren’t many available. My local dealer had gotten ahold of one auto Golf lately, that was it. No other Golfs, let alone a manual. I ended up buying (forgive me for not leasing) a base model GTI. I am thrilled with the car and the deal I got. Things worked out well.

Something I learned, through all of my research, is that new 2015 diesels are indeed about to come back on the market. I was quoted 8500 off of MSRP for a diesel Golf lease.

My area has more manuals then automatics. I need an automatic. Only talked to one dealer about a diesel and he claimed that they would be sold at full MSRP. I literally burst out laughing until I realized he was serious. I hope other dealers are a little more realistic. I’d consider a good lease deal on a diesel. Was the GTI a lot more then the Golf?

I’ve called VW financial once again and this time I was told that a couple hundred miles over scheduled service is not a big deal, just like Ursus mentioned. Also, this time guy on the phone said that oil change is fine and it doesn’t even have to be done in the dealership. In dealership they told me about almost $500 service and that all maintenance has to be done at dealership so it’s hard to say who is right…

No, it’s not :slight_smile: Dealer wants you to service your car there because it brings lots of money to the dealership. You can service your car anywhere.

I know I am overthinking it but it’s my first lease return and I don’t want to have any surprises on the invoice. First time I called the end of lease department I was told that all maintenance has to be done by vw service, the other time I called they said it doesn’t, hence the confusion. I’ll just take it to the local mechanic and not worry about it.

Just get the printout of the performed service from mechanic and you should be good.

Yes the GTI was about $3.5k more than the best deal I could find on a regular Golf. More importantly, I could only find two golf manuals within a couple of hundred miles of my home. One internet sales person, in Vacaville CA, was willing to shave a couple of grand off of the white manual he had. Color and unwillingness to deal more drove me to look at GTI, close to home.

I was expecting the worst out of Reno Volks (many business here have the attitude that Reno is an island and people don’t shop off of the island) but I ended up being pleasantly surprised by their GTI inventory and willingness to dig deep on discounting one.

I ended up with a manual GTI S for a few grand more than the only deal I was able to find on a regular Golf, within a couple of hours from home.

It’s more car than I was after and sure I spent about 4K more than I had budgeted, but I’m happy. And, the car really is fantastic.

You can read up on this to put your mind at ease - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Vehicle_Owners%27_Right_to_Repair_Act

It’s probably illegal for them to say that. The only time the seller can require you to service your products through them is if the service is free. Hence only BMW and others with free maintenance can require your coming to their dealers. Otherwise you can go anywhere else or do it yourself.

This doesn’t say anything to put my mind at ease. It was only proposed at the federal level and only MA enacted it at the state level.

What you’re looking for is this:

Quote:

“Tie-In Sales” Provisions
Generally, tie-in sales provisions aren’t allowed. That’s a provision that requires a consumer to buy an item or service from a particular company to keep their warranty coverage. Here is an example of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

To keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

However, a warrantor can require a consumer to use select items or service if they’re provided free of charge under the warranty.

Your warranty can disclaim warranty coverage only for defects or damage caused by the use of parts or service you didn’t provide. Here is an example of a permissible provision in that circumstance:

Necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair that causes damage to your product may void this warranty.

One exception to the general ban on tie-in provisions is that a warrantor may include a tie-in provision if it has received a waiver from the FTC. To get a waiver, you must prove to the FTC’s satisfaction that your product won’t work properly without a specified item or service. Contact the warranty staff of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver.