Wagenless: VW Ditches SportWagen and Alltrack in America - The Truth About Cars

If the lease wasn’t so terrible maybe they could have moved more, probably didn’t want to take the hit on the back end when the lease was up though. Lack of a diesel didn’t help.

Sad but not surprising.

I sort of wonder what would happen if the shipped over a Golf Sportwagen GTI and killed off the “regular” GTI entirely in the US (::running and ducking::). Or kept the regular GTI and only shipped over a Sportwagen R.

Look at the links on the top bar and the bar to the right… pretty much sums it up

4 Likes

Isn’t the SportWagen just a lowered Tiguan with bad gas milage?

Well I think it’s better mileage than the tiguan though

1 Like

GODDAMN CATS RUINING WAGONS.

Prerequisite requirement for a complete sentence goes here.

I want one!

It’s a shame because wagons are good and wagons are better than SUVs for a lot of people that don’t realize it.

1 Like

No, the Tiguan is the bloated, lifted Sportwagen with worse fuel economy, a smaller useful cargo area (despite being significantly larger in terms of exterior dimensions), and worse acceleration (and presumably worse handling, as well).

I feel like an Alltrack with the e-Golf drivetrain would have been a pretty unique offering and might’ve proved popular if they priced it right. I could see certain markets (mainly the West Coast admittedly) being very open to an EV raised ‘wagen’

Not enough range, something like that you would want to go in the mountains to remote places skiing, camping etc, you’d get caught in inclement weather and a road closure or something and run out of juice⚡ or would be camping and no plug, this is a major hurdle for ev’s

1 Like

It’s about 6 inches longer but has an available third row, so not all that much bigger. There’s definitely some shenanigans going on with the hp numbers though. I think on paper it has more torque and hp than my 320i, and isn’t that much heavier, but it’s definitely slower. I think vw made them slow so they didn’t lose too many Audi sales, seems like they messed with where the power is delivered at what rpm.

1 Like

I also wonder if BMW is doing its usual thing of under-reporting actual HP. And maybe (vs. the FWD Tiguans) the RWD BMW has a slight traction advantage?

I do wonder why VW didn’t give it 200 hp (although maybe it also blunted power to improve fuel economy?) b/c, while the acceleration is totally adequate for daily living, it’s objectively pretty slow for a modern SUV…

I wouldn’t be surprised if they are under reporting hp, Saab use to do it. European makes always use to be on the conservative side. My 180hp 320i drives more like 200hp

The sport wagon is a stretched Golf with better mileage than the Tiguan.

The Tiguan is a lowered Tiguan that gets bad gas mileage. It’s an underpowered mess with auto engine stop/start.

1 Like

But cfo’s think it’s great! And that’s all that matters

Yeah, my bad. I meant the Tiguan got bad gas milage. It’s also unpredictably under-powered. I heard a lot of good things about the all-track but have never driven one myself. I have a 2018 Tiguan S, and it’s not a horrible car. but feels like it can use a little more power just to be reliable. Sometimes, I’ll floor it to pass a truck, and the car just sits there. The transmission doesn’t shift down, turbo lag kicks in, and by the time it spins up, I can’t pass anymore.

It’s just vw protecting Audi sales, that’s my theory. You don’t want to cannibalize the high margin product. There’s tunes available for the tiguan if it’s a serious concern. Turbo engines are always easy to tune

1 Like

Does the transmission have a sport mode? Sometimes that can help.

1 Like

It does have sport mode, helps somewhat