VW Arteon starting at 35k

Looks exactly like my CC from 2010. Meh…

There are some significant differences. Hatchback. Larger. More premium materials. Better engine. On MQB architecture (so not a Passat).

Definitely a more compelling option over the CC.

It is NOT a hatchback. They call it a 4-door coupe, at least that’s what they called CC. The same body shape as 2010 CC. Of course there are major differences, but I’m talking about the looks.

CC stood out at the time. This? Meh.

BTW, VW is building compacts up to the Atlas using MQB so it doesn’t really mean anything.

Yeah. Just doesn’t do it for me.

^ This. I remember why I leased one.

@Ursus, the Arteon is a 4 door Coupe that is also a Hatchback. The CC was a 4 door Coupe that was also a sedan. So no, not the same shape.

3 Likes

Just the door, but still not a hatchback to me. With the closed door - almost the same.

I leased the CC because it had 6000 of lease cash on it at the time. My OG hack, 0 DAS and $280 including tax.

For the right price I’d drive the Arteon…give it time, the residuals will be in the dumpster with huge lease cash.

3 Likes

@Ursus, haha you’re killing me! The way the door opens is the exact reason it is a hatchback. Also, the Kia Stinger is a hatchback of similar design.

Also, Edmunds agrees with me and @StingerTT :

4 Likes

Call it whatever you like - the car looks the same as 2010 CC design. And it is still not a hatchback for me, no matter how that “door” opens :slight_smile:

Proper hatch:

2 Likes

Arteon is a hatchback, the Subaru you posted is a station wagon. It might not fit your definition, but you do have the right to be wrong. :grin:

2 Likes

The closest term to what Arteon is a liftback. Definitely not a hatchback :slight_smile:

Some examples of a proper hatchback is VW Golf, Audi A3, Bmw 1 series and MB A class

Just Google “Impreza hatchback” and you will see :wink:
Outback is a wagon

Nah, there’s a reason Subaru calls them Sport Wagons and not Sport Hatchbacks. They’re wagons.

I liked the look of the Arteon from when they first announced it. All of the R-Line VWs I’ve seen look great, and the VW 2.0l engine is a good all rounder. I really like the VW interiors too, much better quality and interfaces than most in the same price bracket.

Probably because you are too young and missed on the original CC :grin:

Nah. Subaru calls Impreza hatch “5-door Impreza”, so you know :smirk:

The two things aren’t mutually exclusive, I can like both and see the evolution from one to the other.

Sure, but I did not see any evolution here, design-wise. Carbon copy of a 10 years old design, IMO. Same as with the “completely redesigned” 2019 Forester.

That whole “4-door coupe” marketing thing is an oxymoron.

What’s next 2-door sedans ?