Volvo XC90 - purchase vs Lease incentives difference?

I found a loaner that would be a good candidate for hacking. Reached out and got a decent price for it - but double checked on what incentives were already included. I don’t qualify for loyalty or first responder, so $3k out the window. Still, it was an attractive price before negotiating.

Then I said I wanted to lease, and the price went up $7k. Claiming some incentives don’t apply to lease. I asked 3 times to confirm and then insisted about $5k of the incentive reducing the sale price did not apply to the lease price. So the lease price was obviously not even a good starting point.

Is this a dealer playing games using a low priced (possibly non-existent) vehicle as a lead gen and traffic driver? Is it an ignorant salesperson/sales manager? If I had gone deeper into purchase I would have been hit with in-house finance and ridiculous APR?

Or it is true and some incentives ($5k worth) don’t apply to leases?

If you configure the car on the Volvo website and use the payment estimator, it should show which incentives apply to lease vs. purchase/finance.

2 Likes

Well thats the thing, I identified the incentives that I dont qualify for at all. But the other discounts seem to come either from dealer or volvo - I cant find any details on anything from Volvo, and the dealer can do whatever they want. I just cant wrap my head around $5-6k in discounts only applicable to finance vs lease (this is besides $3k in incentives I do not qualify for).

All incentives are in the payment estimator, like Michael said. One tab is Lease, the other - Financing

Yeah sorry I was not being clear.

The only difference between lease and finance is $1500 extra in finance incentives if you bring your own loan. Thats a far cry from the $5-6k we are apart in price between lease and purchase.

Edit: yep, confirmed is dealer cash they are choosing to only offer on finance - probably because they will jack you on the APR. Oh well, too good to be true I guess.

Incentives are regional, you need to see for your zip. It happens all the time. There was $12k purchase incentives on V90 vs. almost nothing in PNW last year

1 Like

I just edited my reply, it was dealer cash. Thanks for the help. I am new to Volvo so im still stumbling upon all the resources.

In the future, it is in your best interest to sort out what the vehicle should cost before talking to a dealer. Going in unprepared is only setting yourself up for failure.

Price was just on the too good to be true side for a loaner with 3k miles. They changed up the price on me when I said lease.

I have an idea what it should be for a good lease deal, it doesn’t mean I’m finding them. Inventory is more limited than I thought.

Doesn’t sound like they changed anything on you at all. There are different incentives for leasing vs buying. I fail to see where the switcheroo happened here.

I’m aware. The switch happened when they didn’t disclose that one incentive was for purchase only.

It is not a Volvo incentive, or at least it doesn’t appear on the Volvo site. So it’s more of a dealer contribution discount that they choose to only apply to purchases.

It’s not a big deal. It happened to be the first one I talked to, other dealers since have been much more clear with what’s a dealer contribution that applies to only purchase.

What I’m trying to figure out is if they just put that up as a way to make extra profit though financing and if I can get them to add some of that back on a lease while they still keep some profit, ending up in a wash for them.

VERMONTA U GOT TO GO TO JAFFARIAN VOLVO HAVERHILL MA. WE JUST GOT AND ALWAYS GET THE BEST FROM GAVIN TELL HIM I SENT U RICH AND MARY HE DELIVERED WAY BEFORE COVID OUR DELIVERY IS TOMARROW. IN ST JOHNSBURY DID MULTIPLE SECRITY DEPOISTS TO GET THE MF DOWN
TRUE CAR JUST ALSO HIT A 1000 DISC TODAY NOT SURE IF U R DEALING WITH AL MARTIN OR MILLER THEY are both bad go Jaffarian