Volkswagen --> Voltswagen

This is apparently not an April Fool’s joke.* VW will be branding their EV cars in the US as “Voltswagen.”

I have to admit, I don’t actually hate this idea.

(*Whoops. Apparently, it is)

Nah, it’s like IHOP>IHOB

Wrong: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/30/volkswagens-name-change-of-us-voltswagen-operations-was-april-fools-marketing-prank-source-says.html

3 Likes

WSJ said the same.

2 Likes

VW has always had great marketing people…

This was indeed pretty elaborate b/c the “rumor” had actually started yesterday (saw a blurb about it on motortrend.com), and, when you read other articles, they actually say that it was thought to be a trick but then was confirmed by unnamed insiders.

Yes, a company most recently famous for a systemic lying scandal has very brilliant marketers for trying this. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Huh? Not sure what cheating engineers has to do with the US marketing team, but okay…

Should I be celebrating Mercedes for having a PR team that’s so good that no one really discusses their $1.5 bil diesel-related settlement?

2 Likes

Oh you mean like the V DUB commercials. That was pure cringe. But on the other hand I still remember it, so I guess it worked

There is no day I hate more than April 1st on the Internet.

I sure hope the authors won a nice gift card for their campaign that laughs both with-and-at themselves, ruined by a leak.

1 Like

No, nope, no.

You know your marketing campaign was a smashing success when the financial regulators are investigating it: Volkswagen could end up in hot water over its "Voltswagen" marketing stunt - CNN

Crystal balls are getting better. If only I could make them say whether programs get better next month :thinking:

Because of US laws, all April Fool jokes going forward will be in this format going format:

The following statement is part of the April fool joke and is no way to be meant to be taken seriously. Any similarity to actual names and events are purely coincidental.

[HAHA HERE]

The preceding statement has been part of an April fool joke and is no way to be meant to be taken seriously. Any similarity to actual names and events are purely coincidental.

We hope you enjoyed the chuckle which hopefully wasn’t ruined by the legal statements that surrounded it.

Hey… Free additional publicity? :grimacing:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9526375/SEC-probing-Volkswagens-April-Fools-Day-prank-announcing-change.html