Volkswagen Golf

I am looking ot lease VW Golf. Any pointers will be appreciated. 12k miles.

Edmunds.com

Start your journey here.

1 Like

We always recommend the following method before you ever contact a dealership. If you do all of the work up front, you’ll have a stress free dealer experience and set yourself for success.

1. Read Leasing 101 (Blog | LEASEHACKR) to understand how to calculate a lease payment and the variables. Monthly payment is an output, not an input!!
  2. Pick a specific vehicle that you want to target
  3. Gather the current MF, RV and incentives from Edmunds forums for your zip code
  4. Research the LH marketplace and other deals that have been made recently on your vehicle - what was their pre-incentive discount? How did their lease terms differ?
  5. Plug your numbers into the LH calculator (CALCULATOR | LEASEHACKR), and use a pre-incentive discount similar to what you have seen
  6. Create a target deal, this is what you’re trying to negotiate to. You can try different terms, selling price discount, etc. and see how your monthly payment is affected. It is also possible that different trims of your vehicle may have different MF and RV (i.e. this is very common with GM), so make sure that you look into that. Come up with a set of inputs that give you the output that you want - your desired monthly payment.

With a target price determined, you now have a deal to pursue and compare dealer offers against. More importantly, you have a solid foundation to work from.

1 Like

I’m gonna cut to the chase … if you’re looking at leasing a Golf, scratch it off your list and look at the GTI.

Trust me.

1 Like

Agreed. I purchased a 2015 Golf and in a couple of weeks regretted the decision. Was lucky to get into a 2016 Gti back when VW was throwing lots of cash to move them out.

1 Like

:point_up_2:

The only VW I would drive is the GTI and its brother R32 if they still make it. If you need something to take you from A to B, there are cheaper and better alternatives.

What are the alternatives. This is for my son. I want to keep the payments below 200 and zero down if possible.

Corolla hatch - sure it’s boring as hell but they can lease okay sometimes and you can even get it in manual with fun rev-matching if that’s something that appeals and you can get in colors that arent just black grey and white.

Alternatively i’d be thinking Hyundai Elantra, or a Kia Forte as they have WAY better standard safety tech than the ancient old Golf would.

1 Like

You aren’t getting a Golf for $200 and $0 down.

Kia Forte. Hyundai Venue.

Umm a Chevy Trax? Maybe?

+1 on the Corolla Hatch, XSE manual. More reliable than a VW and who doesn’t love a slow car that is fun to drive fast.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.