Vehicle Recommendation to buy/lease in 2022 under $50k?

Hi LeaseHackrs.
Right now I am in the market to finance (obviously not the best market to lease, but I am open to lease as well) and I have been researching Hyundai Santa Fe PHEV Limited and Kia Sorento SX-P PHEV.

Santa Fe PHEV Limited with the $2k market-adjustment is at $50k and Sorento SX-P PHEV is at $54k with $2k market-adjustment. I have been doing research on both these auto makers and it seems like a lot of people have a lot of complaints, in other words these vehicles are not reliable. I have seen many reviews where people had to take these cars again and again to the dealers for repairs.

I will appreciate if people will share there opinions and suggestions about what is best to them under $50k and WHY.

2 Likes

Kia Inventory deals northeast or nationwide shipping!yacht blue Ev6 @ msrp. Carnivals and telluride $3-5k over msrp - #128 by Jrouleau426 id get this instead

3 Likes

the santafe limited is a nice car but i definitely wouldn’t pay over msrp unless you’re desperate. jroleau426 has a kia sonata phev for that price which would be a much better buy.

2 Likes

Just curious to learn why Kia sorento phev is better than limited Santa Fe? Limited has more options and features

Other than being a significantly nicer design, im curious as to what technology youre referring to on the sante fe that the sorento doesnt have.

For starters, the first buyer of a new PHEV is entitled to a nice federal tax credit. It’s around $6,800 on the Sorento IIRC.

4 Likes

Not to mention instant equity as used ones are $1000s higher. No clue how this hasn’t sold yet honestly…

1 Like

I meant when compared to Sorento PHEV, not the Sorento X-Line Prestige.
Plus the Market Adjustment is also very high on Kias as compared to Hyundai. The extra equity in a used car really does not mean much after you pay 5 to 10k in market adjustment for Kia. You can easily get a Santa Fe Limited with only $1500 to $2000 Market Adjustment (in some states, like in Illinois)

And I believe that Santa Fe 2.5L drives much better than Sorento. Santa Fe has a smoother rideand is much more responsive than Sorento. Again this is my opinion.

The right-most column is the Federal Clean Fuel rebate ($6,587)

2 Likes

well the phev has a different engine but IIRC they’re the same base. regardless this is based on your opinion. you could ask billy blessings in the hyundai thread and see what he’s got going on the santa fe limited.

you’re nuts if you don’t take the plug-in with the rebate in this market. santa fe phev’s seems to be harder to find than the red october.

3 Likes

I totally agree with you, that PHEVs are hard to find, but I am looking at the sticker and the sticker price is $52,200 without taxes and license and fees and comes with 1.6L engine. That is $9k more than limited Santa Fe and Santa Fe Limited (43K MSRP) comes with 2.5L engine. Plus Santa Fe has the parking assist feature, which may not be of much use, but still feature is a feature. You do get the Federal rebate for the PHEV, but I have a question here, is everyone in every state eligible for that credit/rebate?

And please once again this thread is to educate myself and not to challenge anyone’s opinion. I will appreciate everyone’s replies here so I can learn from this discussion and make the right decision.

If YOU YOU YOU have enough Federal income tax in 2022 to offset it, then you can claim it if you purchase, yes. Everyone is eligible, many people don’t owe enough tax to claim it, it can’t be carried into another tax year.

1 Like

So, if we only compare X-Line Prestige Sorento with Santa Fe Limited (no PHEV/Hybrids). What do you think is a better option? PHEV/Hybrid is a whole different game and it is hard to find one these days. So if I have to choose between a regular Prestige Sorento and Santa Fe Limited, why Sorento is being more preferred here?

The phev only comes in SX and SX Prestige. It doesnt come in the x-line. Make sure youre comparing to the right vehicle.

Market adjustment is irrelevent. I linked you to one that was available at the same mark up as the sante fe youre looking at.

Have you driven the sorento phev or just the gas or mild hybrid?

1 Like

Yes, I have driven both Sante Fe Limited Gas and Sorento Gas.

So you havent deiven the sorento phev then, correct?

No, I have not.

The smoothness and responsiveness of a phev is a totally different experience than the gas engine.

The low down torque from the electric motor makes things behave very differently.

2 Likes

I got this from the link you shared. Are we talking about this vehicle?

Yes, same vehicle

1 Like