Under mileage by 20k, lease maturity in 11 months - What would you do?

We have a 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD lease that matures in March 2021. The lease term was originally a 36/7.5k lease but we carried over the maximum unused 15k miles from a previous Acura lease which puts us at 37,500 miles allowable over the term.

With maturity coming up in March 2021, we are planning to disposition the car as we are both telecommuters and don’t need three cars sitting in the garage. The car just cleared 16k miles so that leaves about 20k remaining.

Topics of the opposite scenario are usually posted here for over-mileage situations but I haven’t seen many under-mileage situations. What would you all do or have done and what other avenues are there to ensure the mileage isn’t wasted?

I would just go on long road trips once things start opening up.

2 Likes

It is a bit down the line, but you could call AFS and figure out how they assess mileage refunds.

Are all three cars getting leased?

1 Like

I’ve never heard of mileage refunds. My understanding if you don’t use it you lose it.

1 Like

Well the opposite scenario you describe for over-mileage situations has many different answers because there are many different ways to alleviate that problem (buy out, pay for it, etc).

In the case of being under miles, it’s a straight forward answer. Use the miles of don’t. You can Turo the car out, drive it on long vacations, etc. I don’t think the captive is going to help you if you are under mileage since you technically bought however miles you wanted. You probably aren’t getting some sort of compensation from captive because your car is under mileage.

1 Like

It would be in your lease contract if you have it. It isn’t that common to have though I am not really up to date on the inner workings of Acura.

1 Like

Only the Acura is leased. AFS does not offer refunds on mileage if car is dispositioned so it’s use it or lose it.

Looking for some creative options if they exist. I see that Turo was mentioned. Not sure how receptive the SO will be to that option since it’s in her name but it is an option nonetheless. Road trips once things get better might be the preferred option.

Double check your lease contract on this one. Most lease contracts after about 2016 specifically included a clause forbidding subletting.

1 Like

Here’s my suggestion:

• Use the car like normal for the next 11 months
  • In 10 months, get some purchase quotes and compare them to your buy out. Maybe you mileage will result in a little equity to reclaim. If not, oh well.
  • Next lease, get less miles
4 Likes

Did I miss something in the previous posts ?
Is this under-lease mileage rollover just an Acura thing ? Was it a special promotion ?

Does any other OEM offer under-mileage rollovers ?

1 Like

Yah, it’s an Acura thing. Honda might do it as well.

2 Likes

This is one of the best benefits of Acura loyalty. It’d take planning, but imagine getting a cheap ILX/TLX lease and then rolling over the extra mileage into an NSX?

https://www.acurafinancialservices.com/leasing/loyalty-advantage

6 Likes

Misery loves company; Joanie loves Chachi

1 Like

It’s an Acura thing as part of their Loyalty Advantage program. They’ll also forgive 50% of over mileage and add additional mileage to subsequent leases.

**Mileage Forgiveness™: If you have driven more than your contracted lease miles (up to 7,500), we will waive half of your excess mileage when you lease or finance through AFS. Plus, if you choose to lease another new Acura with us, we’ll add an additional 1,000 miles to your base mileage amount.

I don’t recall if our two Honda leases offered the same benefit since mileage isn’t usually an issue in our household even at the lowest tier of mileage.

Does Acura offer less than 7.5k/year?

Are you going to lease another acura after this one?

If you’re sticking with acura, you’re probably just going to keep accruing miles (assuming there’s no equity to buy out)

2 Likes

Wasn’t there a TLX deal that was a tad over $200 a month a couple of weeks ago?

We don’t plan to lease another Acura right now. There are no current offerings in their lineup that are appealing but the Type S is due out 2021. First year model and motor with likely first year problems so will likely wait. Definite no on a 2nd NSX. A beauty but the drive was numb like an TLX with added HP and better handling.

1 Like

Probably on a 4cyl. I’ve yet to see an A-Spec V6 SH-AWD at those terms.

*Use all the miles you can without needing to buy tires, brakes, etc…
*See if by some miracle someone will buy the car now for payoff or even a little under payoff if you do not need the car at all. That will save money on taxes, insurance, etc…

How much is your lease payment, by the way?? :slight_smile:

2 Likes