Trying to lease a Jeep - horror

Yeah. The using rebates to discount msrp is hilarious.

1 Like

Time to move on to a different make/model.

The captive programs start to become irrelevant if local dealers won’t deal.

1 Like

Who’s the dealer and more importantly, is this replicable? :grimacing:

1 Like

Or deal with a non-local dealer

1 Like

Sorry to hear this. I got a GCL on 12/31. I wanted:
4x4
Limited
Lux Group II (butt coolers, 360 cam, rearview camera/mirror, memory steering wheel, other gadgets)
Tow pkg
Not black or white, and dark interior

Hard to find that combo, despite the huge inventory (DFW TX area). Don’t need “trail rated” air suspension, $2100 sunroof, bling wheels, etc.

I saw only three online within 100 miles (jeep website is hard to search for specific options). One was very close to home, sold before I got there (wrong color anyway…). I test drove an Overland since I’d already taken the time, and I really liked it. They had two, and one had been sitting so long the battery was dead. So I’m thinking, here comes the deal on maybe a nicer trim! MSRP $63K, they were at like $1100/mo. I told them I was seeing $600s on the forums and they lol’d, so I walked.

Inquired with another just across the state line in OK and they said yes we have rebates but “we don’t do leases”. ???

Third time’s a charm, Dodge City in McKinney (ask for Jesse), got a quick text back, told him I wanted to talk numbers before I showed up and he said okay we’ll do 39/12K for $718 with $0 DAS (first pmt only). I had been ignoring the annoying pop-up for a discount code on jeep.com, figured that was just clickbait to get them spamming you, but I went ahead and requested the code and texted him the screenshot. He said, okay we can get “under $700”. Turns out that is legit, who knew?

Meanwhile… I’m working with a local lease broker on a Honda Odyssey (the car we really need, but we think we’re cool), and he was over $800 for a Touring (not even the top trim).

So we head up to meet Jeep guy, and wifey loves it. I asked him, isn’t the best deal on 24 months?, and he says no, 39 gets us the best pmt. I’m indifferent (kinda prefer longer term tbh, rather not play this game so often) and we settle on $686, $0 down. It did have the blacked out badges and 20" wheels, which I didn’t really want to pay for, but it was something of a unicorn with the options, and I admit it looks rad. MF translates to 3.49% APR, and selling price was below MSRP even though they seem to have hidden the “free” wheel & tire & windshield protection pkg somewhere. I think they also overcharged the acquisition fee… But the deal was done at the payment I wanted.

Come to find out, Jeep includes 3 yrs free maintenance as well. 10K oil change interval… ? Not sure I trust that, but that’s the beauty of a lease.

Good luck to others still hunting. Persevere, there are a lot on the ground and they’ll eventually have to meet your demands.

1 Like

Free maintenance comes with membership in Wave.
Make sure you register for wave.

1 Like

Same here. Trying to get a 4XE Trailhawk at 67k MSRP and with the $2k in incentives and the $7500 credit they still said they want like $875 a month. Insane.

Congrats on the new ride but this was tough to stomach. So many red flags.

You should have known all of these details long before you spoke to any dealer.

Ofc. How can you enjoy “a game” that you’ve set yourself up to lose?

You trust someone who has the opposite interests as you do to provide you with crucial details that were available to you all along.

You waste a lot of the valuable (and finite!) time and energy allocated to this game to do nonsensical things like walking into a dealer and offering a price.

How can you be indifferent to 2 different TCO? It’s moot to get into the weeds of the numbers now but just the consumables like tires, brakes, etc are going to change your TCO.

1 Like

It is you against them. Manager asked me how much I’d like to pay. I asked him how much he wanted to profit. Never responded.

Why did he have to ask?

1 Like

Because he was trying to offer at 1% off msrp and i said no way

If I could come up with a script guaranteed to lead to being ghosted, this would be one of them.

2 Likes

Hardly a loss. We were not getting anywhere anyway

If you had opened the conversation by making him an offer, there would be no need for him to ask what youre looking to pay or for him to make a poor offer.

Wrong. I told him exactly what i wanted right out the gate which was countered. I dont know why people feel compelled to tip toe around car buying.

Yeah Whitten Bros Jeep in Ashland, VA says ‘you don’t need to negotiate here since we price all of our vehicles just over their wholesale price’ or some such nonsense as that.

what’s a broker in the car business? Is that someone who’ll find a deal and I pay them a reasonable amount to find the ‘deal?’ if it exhists…I’ve looked at the numbers and run the lease formula with the money factors and don’t see how you guys can lease a $40k car with nothing down and come up with a $400 payment all in with processing fees and taxes…or even without the processing fees and taxes…the math doesn’t work

With a broker I leased a $60k GCL for ~$550 all in. Spend some time in #marketplace looking at the deals.

2 Likes

The math works fine. If youre getting the wrong answer on some of these deals we are discussing, you’re doing the math wrong.

1 Like

I currently have three active leases with either zero down or only first month plus fees due at signing. 62k F150 for 520/month, 52k GCL Altitude for 390/month and a 30k Leaf for 130/month. These all include monthly sales tax of 9%. It’s very doable, you just need invest time researching here and then time contacting dealers (or nominal fees and use brokers). Patience also pays off. Don’t expect to start your search this morning and be signing your lease tonight.

2 Likes