Truth about infamous "1% rule"

Try looking at Jeeps as an example. This may be an extreme example, but if you look through their RV/MF sheet, which of course assumes you could even find it, it boggles the mind the differences between how various trims will lease even among the same model. The average consumer is never going to figure that out.

That is why a site like this one exists. With a bit of crowdsourcing, all of us can cut through some of the cloudiness.

3 Likes

Go talk to someone in their 60s (or even someone in their 20s) about a money factor. Now when you understand a MF, it’s easy, but it can be confusing at first, and that’s one of the easiest parts of a lease. Leases are confusing because dealers are great at making them confusing. So 1% can be a useful alarm that a deal is not good for you. I am not saying it’s good for evaluating whether a lease is “a good deal” or not. Thanks to this site.

Leases are confusing because most people never take the time to figure out how they work and would rather be lazy.

I’m talking about people on this site who have the information readily available to them. As for the other 98%, instead of giving them a false sense of security by telling them about 1%, why not help them actually learn how to evaluate a good deal?

Generally speaking I don’t think a 20 year old or a 60 year old is incapable of learning.

2 Likes

Most people are payment shopping & that’s the reason the 1% rule is such a big debate.

People rather just use the payment as a the barometer of a good deal instead of actual information.

1 Like

Confession…

Absolutely all I do is payment shop! Absolutely nothing else matters to me*

*By that I mean how much does it cost to drive the stupid car for the lease term :slight_smile:

yeah but you probably payment shop for the lowest you can get.

Most people car shopping payment shop to for either

1. as long as it fits in my budget #
    or
  2. perception of what a good payment is for a certain car based on badge & msrp

Gawd…I just can’t help myself😊

For fun let’s go ahead and list all of the cars that would be considered a really really bad deal at 1%. Then let’s make a list of all the cars that would be considered a really good deal at 1% or less and see what the ratio is of cars on both lists.

I’m awful, I just can’t help myself… @vhooloo is a bad influence.

1 Like

New Rule: (1 - (Total Payment / MSRP)) * 10

This will give you a scale of 1-10

Trademark pending

3 Likes

andre agassi tennis GIF

poor season 6 GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

did you just reverse annualized (just made up the term but still) the 1% rule ? LOL

tom cruise mask GIF

So like… i’ll take a page out of @mllcb42 's book and ask… are you going to tell us how many times the broken clock is correct and use that as evidence to show why the 1% rule has practical use even if it’s fundamentally flawed?

By all means… go for it :stuck_out_tongue:

While you’re at it why don’t you also make a list of all the cars that are considered a good deal at 1.25%… you know… since that could also be the case…

1 Like

Be sure to define your exact use case, because there have been plenty of vehicles that are simultaneously an amazing deal and a horrible deal at 1%, depending on who is asking.

Schrodinger’s lease if you will.

2 Likes

Wait… you mean everyone doesn’t qualify for $1k in loyalty and it only applies to some people?? Who’d have thought…

Hell, I’ve seen incentive swings of $7-8k depending on personal qualifications (loyalty, regional, etc).

1 Like

Im lazy and was hoping someone else would do it😊

And those people cant get the best deal. Its happened to me many times so when it does I look at something else where I can qualify.

Too complex. I can’t handle combination of subtraction and division with parenthesis since I can’t remember my PEMDAS

3 Likes

I am drawing on memories from many decades ago, but was that “please excuse my dear aunt sally”?