Transferring Lease Purchase from FL to CA - Fees?

, ,

So I’ve lined up a gladiator lease in central Florida (near my family, which is how I found it) and I’m planning on shipping it to LA.

The deal as it stands is $561 a month, $56k MSRP, $52k cap cost, .00159MF, and 70% RV. With (apparently) a $550 security deposit.

But there are some red flags popping up in the paperwork that I wanted some expert opinions on:

The FL doc fee is outrageously high, but on top of that, the dealer is charging $249.95 for a paperwork service to handle registering the car in CA. As well as a $484 ‘out-of-state’ fee.

• Is there such a thing as an ‘out-of-state’ fee with Chrysler Capital? In addition, what is this paperwork service doing that I won’t have to do myself? It sounds like I’ll need to make multiple trips to the DMV with the car once it arrives.
  • Will I need to pay the full registration fee in CA? In addition to the full registration I pay for the purchase in FL?
  • Does Chrysler capital mandate a security deposit? And will I be paying sales tax at FL rates or CA rates?

Ya, Florida dealer docs suck. I’m not surprised at all that they’d be charging you extra fees for having a 3rd party handle registration.

You’ll have to pay ca registration. You will be tax based on where it is registered.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll see if maybe the out-of-state is the paperwork company paying the fee for me. And I’ll follow-up on this thread if/when I do pull the trigger.

If you’re shipping from FL to CA, you’ll still need to get the car smogged and the VIN checked once it lands in CA. Costs for that depends on your choices.

1 Like

How does any of this net you a lower total cost than buying in CA?

Some answers

• Not sure as most cars are 50 state but make sure the gladiator you are getting is 50 state or this whole idea of sending to CA is going down the drain.
  • Yes CA wants you to pay full registration fee and collect it back from FL.
  • If you change your address on CCAP, it changes the tax to whatever CA tax it is.
1 Like

Great point, I’ll have them check now.

I agree it would be easier here but I have yet to find a dealer that would be willing to sell under MSRP in CA.

Curious - how much is shipping from FL to CA? $1500-1800?

As @max_g said, is the deal that much better? Throw in FL dealer fees on top of that (while CA dealer doc fees are $85)… that’s steep.

It’s about 9.5 years on the calculator, with the cost of the transport thrown in. Not the best deal ever but far from a rip-off.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.