Trade-in debacle

Ok - here goes:

I had a Tacoma lease that I planned on trading in on a new lease. Dealers weren’t matching what I could get on the open market, so I decided to finance the car through US Bank (same company that the lease was through), then sell it outright (US Bank doesn’t allow lease sales to third parties like VROOM, Carvana, etc. if it’s within one year of maturity). So…shortly after signing the paperwork on the finance, my Honda dealer steps up their offer and I wind up trading my Tacoma on an Accord Sport lease. Everything goes great.

Now the dealer is coming back and saying that I didn’t pay sales tax on my Tacoma and that they registered the Tacoma themselves and I owe them $2,300. I still have to check my paperwork to confirm that I had the sales tax rolled into the price of the Tacoma (I’m pretty sure I did) BUT, if I didn’t – do I have any recourse here? They already delivered the Accord to me, I’ve been driving it for two months. And I never gave them authorization to register the Tacoma for me (though we discussed it via text). Technically, I could’ve taken the Tacoma back, and sold it on the open market myself and made up the difference for that sales tax. But I was never given the option. I’d like to think the ball and responsibility is in the dealer’s court here, but I’m not sure.

Would super appreciate any feedback/insights on this. Thanks so much.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Converting a lease over to finance, then selling