Toyota forgiveness for overmilage at lease end?

I was at the Toyota dealer yesterday looking at a Highlander for my wife (who somehow manages to put close to 20000 miles on her Sienna every year), and the salesman tells me that Toyota forgives mileage overages on leases as long as you lease another Toyota (or buy at lease end of course).

I asked him if that was in writing anywhere and he says “Yeah, it’s in the paperwork when you lease the car, but I can’t show you that since you’re not signing a lease today.”

Needless to say I was skeptical, but then I stopped by the Audi/Porsche/VW dealer to look at the new Arteon. During the test drive I told the VW salesman what the Toyota guy said and he said, “well let me check it out.”

So he gets in touch with a manager he knows at a Toyota dealership, and the manager confirms what I had been told.

If it’s true, why doesn’t everybody sign for 10k miles per year to get a low payment and then turn the car in with 60,000 miles on the odometer after 3 years?

Does anybody have first hand experience with this?

They just rolled it in with the new lease. There is no such thing as forgiveness unless you buy the car or trade it in with positive equity.

Or sometimes, they give an extra 1k incentive if you lease again.

4 Likes

It’s not unheard of for a manufacturer to offer some amount of mileage forgiveness if you lease a new one. I’ve never heard of it being unlimited though.

Toyota does not offer any type of mileage forgiveness.

5 Likes

Do you give 1k incentive if I lease again?

Lease to lease on some models yes. But that is a new thing.

You’d be wise to take any salesman’s advise with a grain of salt.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve done those fake phone calls too when I’m in negotiations with a customer. Always fun!!

4 Likes

One of Honda dealer states that they offer 60k mileage allowance on any lease if you lease and return to them. Also told that it’s part of the contract. They 90 miles away from Los angeles. Tempting bait for sure

If they’re offering that then you can bet they’re making it up somewhere. Likely a stipulation that you have to sign at sticker, accept MF markup, pay for pinstriping, tint, scotchguard and nitrogen fill as well as forfeit all incentives. Pass.

I’ll take those if offered but dont get me wrong, I will try to get the best deal as if no mileage overage is offered.

The VW salesman fakes a phone call to tell me that one of his competitors offers unlimited overmilage forgiveness?

Does not compute.

1 Like

That way you don’t worry about the miles and they get to sell you a car.

1 Like

Sure and then you pay MSRP + Accressories. I’d rather just berate the customer for poor planning like my forefathers and give it to em straight.

2 Likes

Does it compute than TFS would allow you to return a leased vehicle with eleventy billion miles without any financial obligation on the part of the lessee?

I don’t understand why a competing dealer would steering you away by saying the competition is better. Strange.

This is all you need to know. A true Toyota dealer telling you straight from the horse’s mouth that TFS doesn’t offer forgiveness. Case closed.

No manufacturer will offer more than a few thousand miles at most with loyalty. Nissan will give you 500 toward overage, and GM just ended a similar campaign. If these manufacturers would just forgive all the miles by staying loyal, there wouldn’t be any need for residual values for different mileage tiers, and everyone would just do a 10k lease and rack up as many miles as they wanted.

This is just smoke and mirrors to get you to buy, and shady business practices.

1 Like

Aside from mileage overage charges, I actually want to see that odometer :smiley:

Lets say its 20k corolla. There’s nothing less than .15c per mile when you get another toyota? Or loyalty just going towards extra miles?

Toyota charges .15¢ for all vehicles; Corolla —> Land Cruiser

1 Like