To BMW 3 / 4 series lessees, how long do your tires last?

Everything looks decent with the exception of winter/snow performance, and treadwear. I’m not sure what you’re getting at. I wouldn’t buy a set after mine went bad, but I’ve never had a problem with them, other than they grind up quick.

1 Like

If that’s the case, any tire I’ve purchased has been a bad tire. I have never had a tire last the warranty period. The advantage is, if I buy a set at Firestone, for example, and they are bad in 20k instead of the 60k warranty, I’m prorated on a set of new ones.

Years ago, I had a 96 Grand AM that would eat tires, no matter what I put on it. I bought a set of Bridgetone or Firestone tires with a 70k treadwear warranty thinking they would last me a while, but would be shot at 8 or 10k. I’d get a new set of tires every year for like 15 bucks.

Look at “Would You Recommend” - 4.3 Poor and 33 out of 48 in category. It’s bad tires to me. Not the worst, good in some categories, but still bad.

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend them either based on how quick they wear down. As far as driveability or comfort, I’ve never had a problem with them, and they’ve never let me down. I end up replacing them with cheap Chinese tires off Amazon, and you can tell the difference. With that said, I’m turning the car in, and don’t care, as long as they meet specs.

2011 328i returned without issue, dealer wanted me to buy excessive wear and tear protection, I said no. Took the gamble and I won.

I got 28.5k miles out of the RFT ( 4 coupe with 19 inch m sport wheels) before they needed replacing. Pretty standard freeway commute with spirited canyon carving 1-2 times per month. Tires were Bridgestone RE050A 225/35/19 F & 255/35/19 R. The key in my opinion is to check and maintain PSI at least once a month. I also over-inflated the tires by 2-3psi over factory recommended specs to get some extra life out of them.

Hmm, strange. I’ve never really owned any high power cars - the 330e is probably the one with the most torque. I also tend to drive pretty conservatively, so maybe I just don’t go through tires as quickly as other people.

Roads, environment, driving style, proper inflation, good alignment, etc… all play a part in it as well.

Also - Volvo does not specifically recommend rotation LOL

Neither does Bimmer…Supposedly, the near 50/50 weight distribution blah blah blah…

I drive like a grandma on my x1 which come with the exact same tire as yours… Can’t pass 23k miles… I think the design of these tires… Just not for long lasting. However I never rotate the tires tho… Dealership does not recommend it…

The OEM pirelli tires on “performance” cars are always terrible. It’s not as if pirelli don’t make much better tires, they’re just different models that never get put on OEM cars.

Manufacturers must get an enormous discount on these specifically fast wearing tires with no tire warranty.

My 2015 328i with Michelin tires on the base 17" wheels lasted 35k miles. Swapped to Pirelli Cinturato P7, the cheapest run-flat with “BMW star” I can find on Tirerack. Heard they don’t last very long either. But I only need them to last at least 10k miles when I return the lease :rofl:

That and a lot of times they are staggered.

They might not be good but ‘bad’ is just as relative. IRL there are probably 100+ brands but the really cheap and awful brands from you-know-where are not being stocked by major retailers such as Tirerack, so in reality these are ranked 33 out of 100 or so…

Ok, they are not the worst :slight_smile:

I think the OEM just goes with whatever name brand tire gives them the cheapest price.

1 Like

1 Like

From what I’ve heard - the OEMs are sold at a loss on the car by the tire manufacturer and usually have a ton of markup to the tire centers since most people just get the OEMs put back on. They recoup $ when people keep putting the same tire back on without thinking

Not this guy…I’ll gladly put on my Nanzangs and save at least 50% of the name brands.