Tire depth on Infiniti lease return

My Infiniti lease is due back in September. I will not likely be leasing another one (this was my 3rd Infiniti lease in a row and I know they are very forgiving when it comes to tire wear if you lease a new one upon lease return). That said, with about 5 months left my 4 tires are showing (purchased a Gauge and measured them) thr following tread depth as follows 1) 3/32, 2) 4/32, 3) 5/32, 4) 5/32. Looking to find out what Infiniti considers to be too low of tire tread where they will charge me for the tires. Also if you recently returned an Infiniti and did not lease another and can suggest if I should or should not replace tires any advice would be appreciated.

Look in your contract where it states what Infiniti wants for tire tread.

If you need tires, head on over to bestusedtires.com

Thank you! I will I looked on the back of the contract and it does say that tires have to be no less then 1/8th of an inch (4/32nd). I’ll check that site and ebay. With 5 months more of driving (hopefully once the quarantine lifts) looks like I’ll need to get some tires with more tread.

That’s pretty common and the same limit VW Credit sets.

Schedule a lease end (forgot the correct term) inspection and the inspector will measure the thread. I have been told the report is valid for 90 days. I don’t know if they are going to re-measure everything once they get the car - same situation as you but my report showed zero liability with borderline thread.

At the moment, many of the inspection places aren’t doing home inspections due to covid

Thanks. I was lucky to do the inspection last month.

Probably varies by region too. I know I just had to turn my Volvo in without an inspection as a result.

I returned my q50 in first week of march with inspection scheduled in mid February. The inspector from Alliance said tire depth is something which they definitely look at and pretty strict on it.
I would say get some used tires as 1 tire will definitely wont qulaify!!

If I am not mistaken, 1/8 inch are about 3.2 mm, is that not too low? I have about 10k and 1 year left on my lease and my tires have about 5mm left. If that with the 3.2mm is true, I am planning to buy some cheap tires and drive them for the next 12 month and than put the oem tires with 5mm back on to return the car. Thoughts?

You can always buy some used tires rather than cheap new ones, but either way, it sounds like you’ll need tires.

Not all cheaper tires are bad, but the bad ones are really really bad

Check out Consumer Reports and Tire Rack to find the best values that fit in your budget.

Has anyone actually gotten a lease end inspection recently with Infiniti? I’m trying to figure out what to do here. I’m at the minimum allowed remaining tread on my tires. Should I hold off on buying used tires with more tread and schedule the inspection (to take place about 2 months prior to lease end) and have them determine the amount of tread and then tell me what will need to be replaced or pay for tires ahead of time not knowing if It’s money thrown out the window… any advice appreciated…

@gcz did you measure the tire depth at the middle of the tire or toward the sidewall as well?

So I just had AIM out to do my inspection… Only thing, as expected, are tires. I asked the gentleman if I needed to replace with runflats and he told me no, they just needed to be 4 matching. Can anyone confirm this? He said this was a change within the past 6 months or so. TIA!

@scupra is yours didn’t match? Was that the issue? What was the remaining tread depth on them?

with 25k on the OEM run flats, I knew I would be below. The guy was super cool and said he tried to push down extra hard when taking pictures but couldn’t get it to show right. I called IFS to confirm the info and was told they all 4 need to match and have an equal or better rating than 95V. Hope this helps someone else out

1 Like

I thought the same thing. That is why I called IFS to confirm directly with them. IFS also said this was a new change in policy.

They can be a different brand from OEM the question is, do all 4 have to match. Some captives/banks require that they do, apparently some do not.