Tips on Negotiating a Custom Order (Volvo XC60)

I plan to help a friend with a car purchase and recently found out that she would like a very specific build. With inventory light, and her pretty set on a specific trim, color, accessories, etc, I began researching custom orders. Looks like they can be negotiable, which I worried about since I’ve only read about mark-ups with EV orders (Ioniq 5/6, Ford Lightning, Mach-E, etc). That said, is the process basically the same as negotiating a car that’s otherwise in the lot, but it’s not there yet? I read that Volvo will hold the current rebates you lock the deal into, which is great – but if it gets better, does it become negotiable again? Or probably like anything, that should be negotiated ahead of time too? Any insights would be great – you guys are awesome and I enjoy this community a lot. Thanks!

Tip? Ask a broker here to do it for you instead of wasting hours at the dealer.

Basically yes, negotiate sales price / discount ahead of time, Volvo will lock incentives but not programs (so residual and MF will float). If the programs improve you should be able to take those at delivery since it’s manufacturer to dealer.

The trick is finding a dealer who wants to take an order (most brokers don’t want to deal with them), and I wouldn’t expect much discount at this point (vs an in stock unit), but you can certainly try.

1 Like

Thanks – this is probably what I will end up doing. Much appreciated

Custom orders for Volvos built in Sweden (not sure if the XC60 is) can be picked up via https://tourist.volvoprograms.com/

They are not eligible for any incentives though.

Do they lock?

european delivery w volvo is an msrp deal. there’s no negotiation.

3 Likes

What kind of discount can they expect on a traditional order?