Thoughts on this offer? Sanity check for a newbie. 2022 Lexus NX

You can deduct legitimate business use for almost any vehicle.

What you’re talking about is section 179 accelerated depreciation on vehicles with a GVWR above 6,xxx lbs, and there’s nothing particularly magical about it. It allows you to take 100% depreciation in year one and none in subsequent years… vs another schedule such as 20% every year for 5 years.

1 Like

Does it works same if you buy or lease.
If someone spends 80k on a vehicle 6000 lb or more so he can write off $80k next year from the account book.

People somehow think that because they can deduct the lease cost and save taxes paying any amount for a lease is ok. In reality you are really saving your tax rate times your lease payment, and it’s still your money, so you should still focus on getting a good price.

5 Likes

Are we sure this isn’t NJRonbo’s long lost cousin, CARonbo?

5 Likes

The 4th post suggested that you purchase the car. And, 36 posts later, you are still presenting deals for a car that, structurally, is simply not going to lease well no matter what. So the impression is

There really isn’t any more advice to give/receive.

Wait to see if the lease deal on this car gets better or purchase it.

If you could get a lease deal within, say, the $500-600/mo (effective payment) in the current market, that would be pretty good. Anything else is going to get eyerolls. And $500-600 isn’t going to happen right now.

3 Likes

Not sure what else can be said. Horse beaten to death but one last chance at slow mode before the final closure

3 Likes

horrendous deal, hope he signs it to go in the hall of fame

7 Likes

Lexua NX will be really expensive until inventory gets back to normal on these things! @gerbilunit Reach out if you in CA and we will help you acquire a good deal on a car that will suite you

How do you expect to fully write off a vehicle you don’t own? The heavy SUV deduction applies to purchased SUVs rated at or above 6,000 lbs GVWR. Also has to be built on truck chassis, so X5 qualifies, RX 350 doesn’t. Relatively high audit rates by IRS (with CA and some other states non-conforming), especially with claimed 100% business use, especially if bought very late in the year.

The OP should retain a real tax CPA to save his marriage :wink:

I don’t think this is true.

I don’t know what the rule itself is, but, if you mean “body on frame” when you write “truck chassis,” the X5 isn’t body on frame and is built on the same platform as the 5- and 7-Series.

2 Likes

@paranoidgarliclover @max_g - Yes… No… It’s complicated! IRS incorrectly used “truck chassis” terminology a couple of decades ago and it just stuck in the tax vernacular since. My personal guess is that it makes it easy to distinguish the Highlanders from the 4-Runners of the world. The X5 is “built like a truck” even though you’re correct that it’s not body on frame like most heavy SUVs.

The real heavy truck tests are far more complicated and I only suggest reading the tax law on that if you still cannot sleep giggling after reading that someone thinks about paying $800 a month on a base NX lease. Just look up GVWR and run with it.

Easy reading here Tax Deductions for Heavy Vehicles | MileIQ (note this renowned tax attorney uses “truck chassis” in his description).

NASA PhD Cliff’s notes here Little-Known Tax Deductions on Crossover Vehicles

"Thus, for purposes of both the luxury rules under Section 280F and the gas-guzzler tax, tax law grants the Secretary of Transportation the authority to define cars and trucks.4 The Department of Transportation says that your crossover vehicle is not a car but a light truck when it meets either A or B below:

A. Your crossover vehicle is a truck if you can create a flat, floor-level surface from the front seats to the rear by removing the seats using simple tools such as screwdrivers and wrenches.5

B. Your crossover vehicle is a truck if it first has either (a) four-wheel drive or (b) a GVWR of more than 6,000 pounds, and second has four or more of the following five characteristics:6

Approach angle of not less than 28 degrees

Break-over angle of not less than 14 degrees

Departure angle of not less than 20 degrees

Running clearance of not less than 20 centimeters

Front and rear axle clearances of not less than 18 centimeters"

1 Like

OP-You mentioned this was for your wife, no other options so you know this is the best deal you can get right now on this NX-if she can’t wait sign it and let her have it… no sanity checks allowed after signing though.

People here are really genuine in giving the correct answer-even when it seems a bit harsh it comes from their hearts and trying to help people not make bad decisions and frankly save money if circumstances are right and sane.

If your pocket can handle it-don’t hesitate, happy wife-happy life.

1 Like

Though it must be said, if I gave in to the whims of my wife over the years, we would have driven a Buick Century, and a Nissan Quest. Ain’t happinin.

4 Likes

Maybe it’s time to coin something new like

Shitty car, empty wallet.

1 Like

Or a Nissan Juke

Also ain’t happening.

1 Like

Crappy marriage, crappy carriage?
(Stick trap to Al Bundy of Married with Children fame - cue in the theme song)

1 Like

Thanks for the info. BMW doesn’t list the X5 front and rear-axle clearance, and the X5 doesn’t meet the first characteristic. I do wonder if having to meet 4 of the 5 criteria eliminates most SUVs, actually (esp unibody ones)…

Happy wife equals an empty wallet; well either they’re one in the same or I’ve been bamboozled.

Waiddaminit…the Juke is Ca Yute! lol

2 Likes