"This is my best deal": Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited 36/10 $428/mo with only 1st month DOS

I’ll be honest, my first lease was like this. It was mostly out of desperation. My car died. Like flat died. And I had to have something. I came from a family where leasing wasnt even an option because it was “bad.” But my wife insisted I look for a lease just to get a vehicle. Ended up with a base 2015 Civic at $315 w/ first month dos. Not great, but looking back it could have been much worse.

Glad to have had the experience.

For that money, look into a Camry V6…or something similar. You can get a 2019 Toyota Camry XSE for similar numbers. The performance and CVT in this car are horrendous imo.

Someone who is looking at an outback likely needs the cargo space and ease of loading that you don’t get with a sedan…not really an apples-apples suggestion…

The Camry does not have a small trunk by any means…plus there are other nice alternatives out there for the money, with real transmissions and peppy engine options (ex. Golf Alltrack).

Don’t start this 0-60 thing again. People buy Subarus for other reasons. I test drove one and forgot about it. Felt nothing in 3.6, but I was looking for the different things.

Even my mom traded in her Murano Platinum, and got a car without a CVT…because it was so annoying (and she did not want to touch another CVT equipped vehicle)…despite being mated to a v6. The mpg’s sucked, 17 average, and the acceleration wasn’t too good either, so the CVT did not benefit at all. The 2.5 + cvt is the worst combo ever (having owned a 2015 Nissan Altima 2.5), and it’s just waiting for the moment to break. A nice automatic is the way to go!!!

OP probably has specific reasons for an Outback. Outback attracts a certain car buyer, I highly doubt most of them would cross shop to a V6 Camry for “performance.”

My purely subjective opinion is one shouldn’t buy a V6 Camry if they want to experience performance.

15 cubic ft versus 35.5? Yeah it’s got a real small trunk.

What do you mean by felt nothing?

Meaning you did not enjoy it at all?

Yep. Just really nothing. But again - it serves it purpose if you need a capable and spacious AWD hauler.

i was leaning toward the 3.6 or the acura RDX.

Not sure what other suvs there are that are better than these ones but now i definitely have to drive the 3.6 first - i may not enjoy it

Definetely drive it and decide on what is more important to you. They are completely different cars. I would compare RDX with Forester though, but again - different cars.

If you ask anyone to beat this, you’ll probably still end up overpaying.

Don’t even mention this as it serves as an “anchor” in a negotiation.

2 Likes

RDX is a great car!

The truth is that if every dealer sold every car at sticker price without any manufacturer incentives or anything like that, they would all go out of business. Kind of a strange business model.

RDX is a complete overhaul and redesign from anything Acura has done previously. The RDX has its own unique architecture to help it better stand out in a crowded segment and gets the K20C4 engine that’s in the Accord 2.0T with the 10 speed. Personally, I think the transmission is way too many cogs, but it seems to work in this application.

The RDX drive sbetter, handles better, feels better than most other crossovers excluding most of the German performance crossovers and stelvio.

To me it goes Macan/X3M40/SQ5, Stelvio Ti, RDX Aspec. The Stelvio is probably the closest price competitor to the RDX. Honda invested a lot of money in developing the current generation RDX and it shows… I think that’s why it may be a while before we start seeing decent lease deals.

yeah no kidding. i checked prices on a 2016 RDX with 30k miles . They are about $20-23k.

huge upgrade

Well I’m done. The best deal I could get on a 2019 Outback 2.5 Limited was $387 DOS & per month.

So today I leased a 2018 Discovery Sport HSE that I’ve been eyeing since the beginning of this process. It was a loaner with a crazy mark down and pretty favorable numbers. Final deal was $500 DOS and $420/mo thereafter (39/10). I do feel like I left a little room on the table, but I’m pleased for my first real lease hack.

1 Like