The New Supra is Here!

I hope you like hybrids.

Not sure if I’m in love with the looks are not. No doubt that the car will be a hot sell - carrying the badge “Supra” speaks enough for many people. Some of the body lines remind me of the BMW Z4…and parts of the interior design look BMW as well. In the rear, I can see the Q60.

I am sad for the performance

Joint venture with BMW/Toyota

Interesting…so I am seeing correctly. My initial glance at the photo made me think BMW. I haven’t read on the Supra in a long time, as there’s been talk of this new car for so many years…and now its actually here. (still waiting on my beloved new generation Z)

As much as I want the Supra to be awesome, I find it very hard to slot in the US market.

The benchmark for sports cars, Porsche Boxster / Cayman, are only $5k more.
Faster 0-60 cars can be had for cheaper. (1SS Camaro starts at $37k, Mustang GT starts at $40k, etc).
BMW M240i is $45k for similar specs on paper.

A Japanese sports car built with BMW guts in Austria. With the FRS / BRZ at least they brought the chassis / handling to the table. This car is def going to get most of their sales based on the nameplate, and I’m sure I’ll be seeing a bunch running around SoCal with temp plates and terrible modifications.

2 Likes

Looks A LOT like the older BMW Z4 Mcoupe. This car also gets Toyota into the increasingly popular IMSA GT4 category. I think it’ll sell.

A VERY base Boxster starts at $60K…base Cayman being in the low $60k’s, I believe. Either way, they quickly become more expensive than the Supra with only a couple of added options.

I understand the speed argument, but that doesn’t necessarily make one a better or worse car. An entry level Camaro (1SS) and Mustang (GT) have almost no options at all, other than the large motor; i.e. they come with cloth seats. I also don’t think many will cross shop a muscle car with a (supposed) true sports car…just like people don’t cross shop a loaded Mustang against a Boxster/Cayman.

Here’s some info on the 4 Cylinder variants they both get BMW’s B48 2.0

Base: 194 hp/236lb-ft torque
SZ-R: 255hp/295lb-ft torque

https://www.yahoo.com/news/confirmed-toyota-supra-offers-bmw-192900190.html

is this engine reliable?

Detuned! JB+ material to unlock it.

It’s had good service thus far, but is still relatively new in relation to the n20 it replaced, which had a bit of a rough history in certain model years.

I think in the grand scheme of things, you’d have to have a good chunk of change to spend on a BMW product out of warranty.Considering this isn’t built by Toyota, I’d apply the same caution here if it’s going to be a car one drives often. So expect all of your gaskets to go bad by 80k, etc.

1 Like

Inside of this car looks like a BMW… What’s toyota about this car?

3 Likes

The badge 1010.

Agreed, I like BMW but they will almost never hold a candle to Toyota’s reliability.

Im sure the maintenance package for this will be identical to what BMW offers. I hope no one is expecting Toyota reliability on this.

The best thing about the old Supras were that they were actually Toyotas. Since this is basically a BMW, may as well just get a BMW in my opinion.

1 Like

The exterior styling and some of the interior styling. Car and Driver has a brief blurb about it, and the Toyota reps only talked about styling.

Even the graphics on infotainment display look to be very BMW.

How much is a Z4 in equivalent trim to the Supra? Doesn’t the Z4 also get significantly more power out of the same engine for the North American market?

The body is Toyota; the interior and underpinnings are all BMW