The Credit Thread

Oh. Well then proceed. Definitely what’s important at the moment.

:bat:

5 Likes

it’s not an almost zero chance, it’s a zero chance. FS won’t look at anyone sub-600. Likely not even w/ a co.

2 Likes

Taco FTW, I saw some Philly ones as low as 170 in recent memory with like 2k in tax at signing.

1 Like

PA charges tax monthly, so the 2K must be mostly something else.

I’m not going to tell you or your son how to spend money, but 1500/mo really isn’t that much. I’m assuming he’s still pretty young. Get him something basic and cheap, and teach him how to save and invest. Worry about the bimmer later when he has a better job and is fiscally sound. Think long term, not on impulse.

3 Likes

PA charges tax monthly, yea, but there’s costs at singing too, I just checked my contract, and it was fees. Dealer, gov, and inception (I’m just dumb and forgetful :/)

Any suggestions on which amex to open?

Personal?

I love the Gold card. $10 credit per month on grubhub ($120 annually) and $100 airline credit. 4x pts on groceries and restaurants. Annual fee is $250 but worth it for me since it gets washed with the food and airline credit.

Primary interest is in taking advantage of this better.com deal since I’m going to be mortgage shopping soon.

I’ve been very happy with my Chase Sapphire as a travel/cash back card.

Go for the blue cash everyday. Useful for groceries and $0 annual!

2 Likes

Just PM me if you have questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hate the Gold card for the same reasons you like it.

You just described handing Amex $250 that you could otherwise spend on anything, only to get $220 of it back in pieces, and then only when you buy specific things. And the GruhHub credits you can only claw back at the rate of $10/month.

I closed mine earlier this year. A healthy sign-up bonus makes the card worth it for the first year, but it’s garbage to me in year two.

Also if you travel enough you never encounter the miscellaneous airline fees that the card reimburses. I haven’t paid an extra fee to an airline for as long as I can remember. And they no longer reimburse for airline gift cards…

1 Like

Agree. The Blue Cash in 2005 was my first AMEX and I charged 98% of my personal purchases on it for about 8 years.

When I was traveling more I added a Platinum card, which was nice in cities with Centurion lounge (not many). When it went up to $550/yr I cancelled it.

Agreed. Southwest and Alaska don’t charge me any change fees. The United Fee credit I never got on my AMEX b/c I always charge tickets on my airline cards for extra miles.

AMEX purchase protection is first-rate (ask me how I know), but other cards pay me much more cashback now — AMEX always paid me 800-1200/yr to use my Blue Cash card but I get even more back now from Citi and BofA. And my main business cc is a cashback card from Chase.

Not to steal @dukez thunder but your answer is “Any eligible AMEX on the list for better.com with no annual fee” IMO.

Agreed, especially for those who have the patience to navigate various loyalty programs to maximize the value of MR points transfers to hotels and/or airlines (not me). There is incredible potential there.

For “groceries” I have 6% cash back with Amex Blue Cash Preferred ($95 AF, which I’ve never actually paid) or 4.5% back when I use my US Bank Altitude Reserve via Apple Pay at the grocery store.

Or 5.25% cash back on one of my no-AF B of A 3/2/1 cards and Platinum Preferred relationship bonus.

Now I’m hungry. :shallow_pan_of_food:

3 Likes

Which is one of the only things I use this card for. I did buy some Gold with it last week online to get 3% cash back.

Calculus within calculus, and while it’s sometime worth that little bit extra, it isn’t always. When I lived in Ohio I played the gift card/grocery rewards/AMEX cashback on everything, but here in CA I just buy most of my gas at Costco and try to buy everything on cashback cards, which I always pay off every month.

The extreme eCouponing and get very extreme.

1 Like

Split the credit card chat to another thread.

1 Like

Most of it was in the spirit of helping someone pick an Amex to get the $2,500 Better offer.

But I have a lot more content that I had already filed away for another time and place.

1 Like

None stolen at all! I’m available as a resource if anyone needs help. I’m not going to push recommendations unless asked :blush:. Plenty of good advice and opinions here, too.

1 Like

This is what I blog about. Let me know if you need help deciding on a card or figuring out what to do.

Sounds good. I’ll take a look at your site