The Credit Thread

Iā€™ll share a life hack thatā€™s served me well in the past. If you have a derogatory but paid off tradeline on your credit report, dispute it. The creditor has nothing to gain by fighting with you (since theyā€™ve already been repaid) and will more than likely just delete it. Iā€™ve had 100% success with this.

If the derog is recent, this one deletion could be worth 50 FICO points or moreā€¦

6 Likes

Hi all, Iā€™m moving from Canada to the US for work and Iā€™m looking at potentially leasing a new car. I was wondering if I would be eligible for any of the good deals that are posted here, even when Iā€™ll be starting my credit file from scratch? Is any manufacturer willing to check Canadian credit history to approve someone for a US lease?

Thanks!

Hello all,

Iā€™m interested in applying for a lease with BMWFS and I was wondering if you think me just starting a new job (at a bank 2nd week) will affect my approval odds. previous employer was another bank 3+ years. Scores are above 720 and income is good as well.

Thanks in advance

Should be fine, but your score is borderline, though.

1 Like

I was in the same boat 5 years ago, bottom line no one will look at your Canadian past here. Count on at least a year to build something decent, what helped in my case was having an Amex account in Canada which I managed to transfer to the US thru Amexā€™s global transfer program.

Good luck!

1 Like

Borderline for getting a lease with BMWFS? Or just borderline for top tier? Hopefully itā€™s the latter or else I have serious work to do. :upside_down_face:

Thanks for sharing your experience. Guess Iā€™ll go with used for now.

I was planning on doing the Amex thing too. Any other US banks that youā€™ve had good experience with?

720 is a borderline in general. A few points drop and you may have a problem with tier 1. Not saying you wonā€™t get approved, butā€¦

2 Likes

700 is the cutoff for Tier 1 at BMW

3 Likes

Just saying that 720 ā€œin generalā€ can be tricky. 20 points drop can easily happen. But Iā€™m not an expert on credit score, for sure.

Not disagreeingā€¦and who knows what his Auto Fico looks like either. Just saying for future reference.

1 Like

Appreciate the responses. Given my past careless handling of credit and Chapter 7 (5+ years ago), I go into these things knowing Iā€™m probably not going to qualify for Tier 1. That said, Iā€™ve battled back for years and have pretty much reached my credit ceiling for now (710ish across the board).

Not sure how forgiving BMWFS is, but hopefully my low DTI and perfect auto payment history can help offset the negatives from years back. Hey if not, thereā€™s always another Giulia I can lease through FCA. :rofl:

If you didnā€™t burn them in CH7, you should be fine. At worst, theyā€™ll put you in tier 2, which will be a .00010 bump in MF, which equates to a roughly 0.24 bump in interest. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if you got Tier 1 either.

Nah, I didnā€™t burn them, thankfully. I was fortunate in that my first auto loan came after filing, so I donā€™t have any negative auto history. Went out and bought a CPO Passat shortly after filing and drove it for 2+ years. Then I graduated to leasing a Giulia back in 2018. Next up is the m340i.

Thanks for the data points, btw. I know every credit scenario is weighted different but it sounds promising!

Without any auto history, you are iffy for sure. Youā€™d be best suited to talk to a finance mgr at a dealership to inquire with them. They would have a better answer for you after they hear your whole picture.

1 Like

This is only good for sloppy payers with lots of cash. No thanks.

Correct which is the input to any score. Check them all, every year, and clean them up.

And your CLUE report. And your Lexis-Nexus master file.

Helped lots of friends clean up their credit. Canā€™t say itā€™s 100% successful but agree you should always always always try and dispute anything negative.

Good suggestion. @Eli_Kornfeld join a Credit Union. If you have a car thatā€™s paid off take out a used car loan for the shortest term and pay it off in the first year. If you donā€™t have a car consider a solid used one, finance with the credit union, pay off as quickly as you can. Plenty of other tips online for new creditors establishing credit.

How long have you been in your current job? Do you have enough savings to do a one-pay?

In general, leasing with little credit experience is easier with non-lux/non-highline brands. Your first new whip is unlikely to be a BMW without a co-signer or job/income history + solid credit and possibly + one-pay.

Remember itā€™s not just your ability to make the payments: the leasing company is ALLOWING YOU to roll around in THEIR COLLATERAL for 2-3 years, expecting it back worth 40-60% of MSRP. Would you let someone with 7months of proof they paid anything on-time lease with a $45K car and hope it comes back in great shape in 3 years still worth $26k? Nothing personal but I wouldnā€™t.

One would think that a 1 pay would be the answer, but Iā€™ve heard thatā€™s not always the case. They still want to see youā€™re responsible so they get their car back in 1 piece with all 4 wheels still attached.

1 Like

Find a 24 month lease on a nice Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Subaru, FCA, GM, or Ford that you like, and once itā€™s completed you are in a much stronger position to try for a BMW, Lexus, MB, Acura, etc.

Iā€™ll add Iā€™ve heard Nissan is easy to lease as well, provided you can tolerate/stomach the cars.

4 Likes