The Coolest Cars Right Now Are Wagons

He can’t use a-plan on demo/loaner (punched car) and it’s better for you not to use a-plan IF it is a demo/loaner since you can get higher discount even with extra $3K a-plan cash. Dealers call them “new” because they qualify for new vehicle incentives. Are you talking to a salesperson or the manager?

I’ll PM you

1 Like

@Ursus :slight_smile:

1 Like

Goddamnit America. This is what happens when you stopped buying wagons. We all get punished. No 3 Series Touring for us and it looks so gooooood!

4 Likes

my lease is up in sept and im hoping there are a few good wagon deals left but i am thinking ill probably have to buy rather than lease

I’ve leased a 2000 528, 2004 C320, 2010 Audi Avant, 2013 Audi Allroad…all wagons. loved them all.

However, once I got a Q5 as a loaner, I knew I was never going back. The high seating position and view makes city driving vastly superior. Yes, the handling/ride may be inferior, but I live in LA…even living in the hills and being able to drive Mulhullond, there just isn’t much opportunity to do much with a sportier car. At least not for more than 30 seconds.

What is dead is a sedan…I can’t imagine ever buying one of those again unless I become an Uber driver.

The German luxury SUVs are closing the gap between cars and SUVs although im not sure that holds true for non luxury brands. I have a MDX and it drives significantly worse than my Accord. Whereas my Q5 rental in Italy, even with only a 140hp diesel engine, drove better than my Accord. As an aside, it’s interesting that you prefer the SUV for city driving, my wife and I both far prefer our Accord when going into DC for it’s better visibility and general east of control. But that’s personal preference.

What will probably lead to me not buying another sedan is electrification. All the battery weight on the bottom of the car is going to lower the center of gravity on SUVs so much that it will largely remove what is now the sedans main advantage. At that point, SUVs will have few disadvantages over cars/wagons.

How?

10 character

1 Like

I can see both sides. I drive a Highlander usually, but have a Fusion Hybrid at the moment (both equally, painfully dull)

I like the SUV in LA traffic because larger mirrors, perceived better visibility and it’s comfy to crawl around town in. I can load it up with people and still have space for their stuff. The sedan is easier to park and woah that MPG difference! but the trunk, in the hybrid is basically useless.

A plug-in hybrid of a raised wagon, aka an Outback/V90CC/V60CC/Audi AllRoad would be the absolute perfect car for me but it aint gunna happen as manufacturers want to get people into SUV’s (insert epic sadface here)

You can get a deal on 2019 Outback as it’s the last MY, 2020 models are rolling out in August. Depending on where yo are, I’ve heard people getting 20+% off MSRP.

The seating position argument is a purely subjective one. I find that it’s only advantage is giving the owner a “warm and fuzzy” feeling from being so high.

Aside from that, higher risk of rollover.

3 Likes

Coolest car right now is my 2019 Honda Odyssey manufactured in 05/2019 since I heard some of the early ones had some issues :slight_smile: It’s the only car in the US that can have 2 extended rear facing convertible car seats both in the safest positions away from the doors (center) while allowing easy access to a very spacious third row via magic slide seats, and also allows my 6’1" self to sit as comfortably reclined as I want whether I’m the driver or a passenger, and also costs less than $40k and gets decent gas mileage. Now that’s a run on sentence!

Wait, did I say coolest. I meant most practical. It would be kinda cool if it had an extra 200 horsepower, 360 view camera (really not an option!), and was able to not look like a minivan on the outside.

1 Like

+1. At speed, the elevated ride height doesn’t do much for me, but, at a near standstill, there’s something very “commanding” about sitting up. It’s like stadium seating, except your in the front row. :slight_smile:

I also think that, as we all age, stepping ACROSS into the car (rather than down) is a lot easier…

Why would you ask for additional 200 horsepower for the elephant?
Wagon is not only about space. It’s about driving a car. Not a minivan, not a bus, not a truck.

How about an additional 500 horsepower?

500 works!) So much better than 200

In case someone tracking this thread is in the market.

1 Like

CLA wagon. I dig the yellow.

I find it odd BMW is exiting the market. The wagon market remains niche, but it’s bigger today than it has been in the past decade and growing, it also attracts locals customers with high average transaction prices.

3 Likes

They probably did the cost analysis of federalizing + shipping wagons being built in Germany and decided it would be cheaper / more profitable for them to try to convince people to climb into a X3/X4 instead.

1 Like