The Best Finance Rates & Hacks! Submit your CU recommendations!

Sorry for the bump, but I’m publicly releasing something I’ve sent around to some people recently!

It’s an automatically updating rate scraping sheet, which I’ve added to the wiki, whenever a user opens the sheet, it will pull the latest rates from the listed Credit Union sites. Full info on membership eligibility and highlighted best rates are included! If you have any issues or Credit Union suggestions, please PM me! I’m currently sick in bed, but I’ll try and work on this as I go!

19 Likes

Nice I just snagged 1.9% on a 84 month loan at my local CU for the Tesla.

Do they do Ca?

No they only cover a few local zip codes. I would hit up your local CU. They don’t advertise rates for well qualified buyers.

3.54 lowest I’ve found for CU

I am sorry but this is really bothering me…

2 Likes

Im lying in bed sick, I’ll correct my spelling :laughing:

What county in Socal. Ill make a rec, I think I’ve looked at 60+ CUs so far.

1 Like

Ventura
My local CU offered 3.54 for 84
Was gonna take that

Affinity is @ 2.86 for 84 months on a new car, need to join CT jumpstart coalition or NJCFE ($5 donation). Give them a call to check they’ll lend to CA.

I’ve saw this one on sheet
Wasn’t sure after reading the requirements

Will give them a call

Thanks

14 a month x 84 = 1176

Couple of questions if anyone can chime in.

Allegacy, Affinity, and Northwest have very aggressive rates for longer term loans, however a quick google indicates some terrible experiences.

Anyone here actually used them that can share feedback?

If not, any strong recommends on somewhat comparable programs available in FL would be appreciated.

@trism is putting up with DCU for 1.49% on his Tesla. So honestly, depending on if the rate is good, it may be worth it.

Yea id put up with the bs for a 1.49
Rate as well lol

I guess the real question is if anyone has experience with these options

Note - appreciate your research and putting this thread together for us regardless

Great idea!!! As someone who has had 8 leases in the last 15 years, I just financed a car in April 2022. First one since 2006! I loved the flexibility of a lease, the ability to preserve capital and not make large down payments. I had the outright cash to buy a car but preferred to amortize my cost over time, plus I just like cars and the ability to change it up!

I got 2.99% for 72 months from a local CU but my local Volvo dealer (who was at 3.5% with my credit) decided at the 11th hour they would match it. So didn’t have to use the CU but got the same rate (which ended up at Wells) good for negotiating.

Also something I think about - with leasing the dealers have a 2-3 year built in network of people coming off a lease looking for new cars. I do not know how much leasing has fallen off over the last few years but that is something that might bite the dealers over time.

This time last year I had 3 leases in my house. Now, still have 3 cars but no leases. I control when I want a new car not the lease end date. 2nd lease end went to plug in hybrid and the rebates makes way more sense to finance vs lease with BMW. 3rd lease was swapped out and replaced by a 16 yr old new driver! He wasn’t getting handed a M4 vert!

Question about getting a loan to buy a leased car through a credit union. I got good rate of 2.99 for 78 months but when i was about to sign i saw a figure of aprox $2900 which was added to the loan stating its for Protection in case of death. $1.49 per 1000 finance. Is this Legal or can i deny it? Will denial can raise the rates or should stay same. I also bought GAP insurance for $490 which covers upto $1000 deductible from my insurance.

But why should I pay $2900 for Protection in case of my death if credit union is holding the Title. I dont recall i ever saw this in my other finance cars.

It sounds like Credit Life Insurance (or a competitor), I would tell them you don’t want it and see what they say. I’ve never heard of that being required by any lender.

3 Likes

Agree with @jeisensc - it’s probably a finance product they’re trying to push on you. I got the same pitch from DCU but for “payroll/job protection, in the event you lose your job blah blah blah.” Just said no and they took it off.

1 Like

Yes I told them No and it was removed easily. But what surprise me how they sneak it in without mentioning the price tag of $2900 . They spend 10 minutes explaining the GAP Plus which was $490 which is not a bad idea to have because it covers the $1000 deductible from my auto insurance if I am involve in some repair due to accident or total loss of vehicle… but never mentioned $2900 for this Life protection thing.
I dealt with them in the past for my other cars and home equity and that section was never checked but it was there to be taken if someone wants it.

I still see this…

Has anybody actually used Affinity credit union? If so how long did the approval process take?