Texas XC40 - some feedback appreciated

Well here I talked trash in the other Texas XC40 thread and I got “Nitrox Tire and Lifetime Tinted” at the last minute. (Insert foot into mouth)

Here’s where I am on a T4 mom loaner:

T4/Mom/Premium/Heated/19"ers/Demo@3k

The sales price reflects $750 in dealer adds that he was gracious enough to “split down the middle”

He says Texas tax credits are “determined by the manufacturer and aren’t at their discretion to hand out” - which I think is bullsh* - no other brand works that way, but before I called him on it I wanted to check with the experts.

I’m looking for a total lease cost of $13,500 to pull the trigger. This is almost $15k. Tax credit down to 1.25% would get me there.

-Josh

Did you ask if the XC60 has tax credits on it? Might be worth it to consider an XC60 if it does.

1 Like

No. This is for my child who’s a new driver. She wants the 40 because of size.

While I might be able to get a “better deal”, the goal here is cheap. Even with a 20% MSRP discount (which I doubt I could get, inventory on the 60’s is much lower around here) and a tax credit we’re still at almost 16k+ lease cost.

1 Like

When I was shopping BMW leases, I had tax credits offered if I was willing to do a one-pay. If that is an option for you and they won’t give them otherwise, you could try that tactic.

1 Like

Do you have a break down of the incentives included in the discount? The discount might be closer to 10% once separated and that’s not that great for a loaner. Otherwise, it’s not that bad of a price for a car in Texas but at the same time, I can’t fathom spending $400+ a month for a newly-licensed driver.

1 Like

I don’t. I assume this is all Volvo money and they are close to invoice providing the discount - but I’m no expert. They are cagey (see the 1500 in dealer adds after the fact) and tell me they are “all in” after quite a bit of back and forth.

And I agree it’s not a good discount on a loaner - hence not biting. I’m willing to pay a broker and/or ship but most parts of the country are low on XC40 stock compared to Texas.

We sold my jeep to Vroom and using the proceeds to make the all of the lease payment and getting a car loan on her credit. It’s overdue for a big maintenance cost, gets worse mileage, etc.

Also, due to the fact she’s 90 miles away in college, I need something with warranty, prepaid maintenance, and without 110k miles on it. I don’t want to be getting a call saying she’s broken down and have to get there for a rescue. I’ve weighed the risks and considering the net cost, I’m choosing the Volvo with the driving aids, safety record, and aforementioned peace of mind benefits.

Don’t assume.

If you want to minimize your lease cost here, it’s on you to know the breakdown of the discounts and such before you ever darken a dealer’s door.

From what I’ve read, the Volvo provided money is unit specific, not model/trim. With this being a loaner, I’m even more in the dark. I’m eligible for a first responder program, but that explicitly doesn’t apply to demo/loaners.

I’m not sure I understand that point when it comes to the bottom line - and I’m inviting discussion here, not arguing. If I’m trying to compare different dealers on new units I can see the value in knowing who’s willing to move more where.

And it’s really immaterial to me how they get there. If they have more room and want to make a deal, they know my number. I’ve given these guys an easy way to get us $750 closer by dropping the adds.

Have you looked up the incentives, residual, and MF for this month on Edmunds? That’s a start to see what’s rolled into the “discount.” We haven’t had great luck with dealerships in Texas; they’re inconsistent at best. I just did a deal for a Dallas buyer, however, and we shipped in the car from NY. That dealership has several XC40 loaners.

There’s a $1500 lease bonus - MF and residual are as listed on the calculator per edmunds.

I don’t know if the lease bonus applies to the loaner. There’s obviously Volvo cash on the loaner. I assume there’s also the MSRP/Invoice spread, some holdback, and maybe a VIN specific program - just speculation.

I’m willing to engage a broker if it adds value, but we’re looking at shipping+fee that needs to be paid. Like I mentioned - looking at total cost and not really payment shopping. I can do a one-pay if it makes a difference.

Here’s the issue… if you don’t know how they can get there, how do you know where “there” is?

What are you basing your target numbers off of?

Other XC40 deals on the forum, both loaner and new - as a percentage of MSRP.

The lease cash incentive is already 4% of MSRP and the overall is discount they are offering is 18.7%. That means they are only coming out of pocket by about 15% … on a loaner. Hell, brokers are advertising better in their spreadsheets, right?

To reference this post from 10 days ago, if 13.6% is not good, I’m going to assume 14.7% isn’t good either:

With my affinity pin and the lease cash and the standard 10% off every new unit most dealers around are dropping, I’m already at $31.5k on this sticker. It’s just not a great deal … on a loaner.

What is that? FR?

replied via PM to avoid flooding screenshots in the thread