Texas voted 145-0 on charging EV 200 dollar annuel fee to make up for lost gas tax

2 Likes

EVs already have some type of extra tax in NC. It’s $140.

4 Likes

California also has higher registration fees for EVs. I’m surprised that Texas is behind the curve on EV taxes

6 Likes

Gotta love the ‘not-using-enough-gas-tax’!

Hope CA, TX and others start taxing nicotine gum, patches and smoking abatement programs for depriving the state of cigarette tax dollars.

8 Likes

Right. The idea behind gas tax is that it should help make up for the pollution and environmental damage that its use causes. In NC, Highway Use Tax covers the roads and stuff.

2 Likes

They’re anti-tax until they’re not lol.

9 Likes

Getting in before this turns into a political debate.

I’m just here to say that if the Texans ever decide to boycott EVs and you can’t sell anymore BMW iX’s, I’ll take one for $399 a month @IAC :joy:

6 Likes

Still cheaper than CO/CA yearly reg or VA PPT.

Maybe I can get an exception by throwing a generator on a tailgate. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I’m Anti dumb tax, road tax isn’t a dumb tax IMO

2 Likes

Gas tax from what I understand has zero to do with the environment and 100% to do with road upkeep.

4 Likes

I’m not against road tax, but if you tie it to the usage of something to penalize usage of that thing, then don’t get mad if people use less of it and you get less of their money than you hoped for.

2 Likes

Then should drivers of low MPG lightweight sports cars receive refund checks in the excess they’ve paid and hybrid drivers should be assessed a penalty for not using enough gasoline?

3 Likes

WillingGrippingAnnelida-max-1mb

1 Like

it is not about penalizing anyone, it’s about making sure everyone using the road is paying their fair share for the upkeep, EV users don’t buy gas and thus don’t pay any tax for road upkeep like Gas cars do, the money for their car damaging the road has to come from somewhere.

2 Likes

You’re definitely missing my point. It’s as if a landlord charged your rent based on how much water you use. It added up to an amount the landlord was happy with for years. Then one day you redo your landscaping to drought resistant spending based on the ROI on the saved water.

Your landlord goes nuts screaming that you’re cheating on your rent and must use more water.

7 Likes

Your slapping gif comes across as petulant and weirdly aggressive.

3 Likes

tumblr_p978mr58Py1wsajfio1_540

Don’t open a topic if you can’t handle people disagreeing with you.

6 Likes

unknown2

My residence is in Houston Texas…

$200 annually to drive a EV is just not a big deal…

That’s less than I spend on yearly toll-road fee’s driving in the Houston metro area…

3 Likes