Tesla vs Luxury cars

I am not a Telsa fanboy by any stretch of the imagination. Dont own a tesla or tesla stock but even with the lack of “quality”, no one is able to compete with them right now. Their quality of battery, technology and charging infrastructure are superior to any automaker right now. These factors are more important to most people than “quality” interior. I think Telsa can easily make the interior feel more luxurious, but they dont feel the need too. People are still paying premium for their brand which makes them a luxury brand.

2 Likes

Imagine how good of a car company they could be if they learned to build a car!

4 Likes

There are lots of expensive cars that aren’t luxury cars. Tesla does a lot of things right, and you get something for your money… Just not a luxury car.

3 Likes

Tesla revolutionized the industry for the better in my opinion. They have been doing great on the drive-train and software and they did “OK” on the design and build quality… Like I said before, my dream SUV is the fullsize RR with Tesla drivetrain and software.

They are still a bunch aholes in the parts dept though, yeah they are all for direct to consumer purchase. But if it breaks or you need a part, you have to go through them. Hopefully some of the pending lawsuits change some of this. And OTA is great until they don’t like your salvage title and turn off your updates and super charging. I feel like there’s a misconception that Tesla is consumer friendly, but that’s only the case if you want to follow by their rules. If you buy something, and especially if you are paying a premium, you should be able to do what you like with it. These cars cross into a weird realm of car/smartphone/self driving appliance

I still feel like once the big boys see electric as viable and put a significant amount of effort and money behind electrics, Tesla is dead or rolled into one of the big players

1 Like

Well Telsa isnt a car company. It is a tech company that makes car. That is why its valuation and stock price are like Amazon/Apple and not like Honda/toyota. It is worth a lot more as a tech company than a car company.

2 Likes

the quality and autopilot

2 Likes

People think it’s a luxury car because of their horrible quality control?

3 Likes

Which made sense when they licensed their tech to Toyota and MB (now they are their only customers), and before they open sourced all their IP.

It’s absolutely the L2 best driver assist tech on the market. Not even close to 1/3 of the promises made on its behalf in the past 5 years.

What’s so “luxury” about $1k iPhone?

Luxury means different to baby boomers and to millennials.

Luxury is no longer high power engines with nappa leather & wood trims. It’s technology and how readily “upgradable” it is.

Also, Tesla battery technology is far superior to any other brand. & Their performance trims outperform most in the their respective segments.

The definition of luxury has changed at least in terms of cars & technology.

2 Likes

No offense, but that sounds like a match made in hell.

5 Likes

Network, styling and much faster charging on the Tesla.

Care to elaborate ?

RR has crap quality, Tesla has crap quality. Crap + crap = loads more crap.

Or, to put in less snarky terms, when you combine the two auto markers that produce the most unreliable cars available in the US market, you will not somehow get a better quality car.

1 Like

Best quote ever!!!

1 Like

Sorry, no. I have been a Mac user for 20 years and don’t give a crap what phone is trendy. I use an iPhone because I prefer the OS and am heavily invested in the Apple eco system. Just because you don’t see a value in a product doesn’t mean everyone else sees it as you do.

8 Likes

That is like saying ICE cars have no real advantage over EV cars besides the availability of Gas Stations.

2 Likes

The Tesla Supercharge network is overrated. Public EV charging is not ready for prime-time. If you are regularly making long trips that involve Supercharging/DC Fast Charging to reach your destination, a GAS CAR IS A MUCH BETTER CHOICE in 2020.

At the current level of “future” we’re in, EVs are best for people that can charge at home in their driveway/garage/apartment complex. If you can’t do 90%+ of your charging at home/work, you will waste more time and energy trying to charge the damn thing than it’s worth. Just get a gas car and put gas in it. And this is coming from the guy brokering dozens of EV deals per month. Cheap EVs are a great “second car” so you can still keep a gas car around for the trips that the EV would be a hinderence.

Teslas are too expensive to be a “second cheapo car”, unlike the economy EVs they claim to be competing with.

1 Like

So either it’s over rated or it’s an advantage over other EVs.

Let me just say that neither I own a Tesla nor planning on buying one so you don’t think I’m some fan boy.

But my comment about the “Gas Station” was sarcasm & just for reference.

You can’t say Tesla’s Supercharger network is an advantage over other EVs and at the same time say it’s not worth the $$ compared to another EVs.

In the EV world, charging network is a key component.

Again, Tesla is not trying to be the “second cheapo car”. Most People don’t have a “second cheapo car” just for fun of it.

Having a “second” fun or “weekend” car is primarily a “luxury” thing lol

2 Likes

Tesla Supercharger is an advertised advantage of the car. They are in a lot of places and they add value to the EV ownership experience, especially at the beginning, when there were few to zero other fast charging options.

But in terms of HOW MUCH value, yes, it’s overrated. Other charging networks are emerging, and Tesla’s advantage is waning as time goes on. As states and automakers pledge to expand the amount of available DC fast charge stations, supercharger becomes less and less of a big deal. We’re almost at the point where the disadvantage (to gas) of having to stop at a Supercharger is no different from the disadvantage (to gas) of having to stop at Electrify America, EVgo, or Chargepoint charging stations.