Tesla Rivian Sales Model vs. Traditional Dealer Model

Buying a model 3 at effective 32k is a great deal and will not happen in a dealership model. IMO, without dealership friction ( hardball negotiation tactics ) the market will be more efficient and will have better deals for everybody.

No it just goes to show how over priced they were for the last few years…

6 Likes

The dealerships have been very effective at fighting the DTC model. In Texas, it’s played out as a consumer protection which is laughable. I’d guess Tesla and Rivian customers are generally much more satisfied than the typical dealership customer but I don’t have any data to back that up.

I purchased my previous three late model cars from CarMax. It was a wonderful experience overall. They even have a no questions asked return policy. (I returned my 2022 Tesla Model X within 30 days and got every penny back).

If it wasn’t for the attractive lease deals and tax incentives on EVs right now, I’d never go to a traditional dealership again.

1 Like

Sounds like a good way to get a free rental car. The fact they can do stuff like this means you’re paying over market value though. But for some people convenience is more important then value

Not sure I’d agree with that. Remember CarMax is for used cars. So it’s been great historically for BMWs that are 2-3 years old and you’re past the deprecation phase, and you’re getting a car for 30% less than a new one. It’s been a win-win for me. In the case of Tesla, CarMax has taken a bath on their inventory over the past year because of the aggressive price cuts.

Car dealership owners are some of the richest people in America. They have an effective monopoly and there’s too much margin in there. Tesla and Rivian direct sales models are the way for the future.

By the way, I’d gladly pay a broker a $500-750 fee to find a car for me. I hope you guys can find a niche to continue to add value when these “stealerships” go away!!

Private car ownership will go away before dealerships do so no worries. Everyone should always be prepared to lose their job and transition to another field in this brave new world anyway.

If you’re a thrifty used car shopper you can always fine better deals then at a dealership, including carmax, afterall they need to profit to keep the lights on. They do exactly as you said though, offer a huge variety of cars in an efficient manner with money back guarantees. That’s why people go to them, it’s not their pricing as much, although it is lower then cpo for sure.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.