Tesla Ordering Tips - And Most Other Reasonable Things Tesla

What was msrp on the X
120k+?

1 Like

$93,700.

But we did not pay $93,700. :grin:

1 Like

Big pickup in drops the last two days, alot of Model Y’s.

Anybody manage to get one?

1 Like

Any Stealth P’s?

Updated numbers and comparison to last week…

Model 3
Yesterday: 10
Last 7 days: 54 (+19 from last week)
This month: 362

Model Y
Yesterday: 54
Last 7 days: 76 (+44 from last week)
This month: 430

Model S
Yesterday: 30
Last 7 days: 119 (+37 from last week)
This month: 652

I don’t think you can really order a Stealth P anymore?? The closest thing would be an LR and then opt into the $2000 acceleration upgrade. The LR is still the hardest to find M3…

I’ve been doing a lot of research on this car, planning on possibly getting one (or a bmw g20). Maybe it is my doomer nature, but I’m going to double down on my theory that the actual market value of these cars is going to be much less than the lease RV in 3 years. Why?

1. Tesla is cranking these out in high volume. Right now demand exceeds supply, but sooner or later that will shift. There’s going to be a lot of these on the used market in a few years
  2. Reliability and the high cost of out-of-warranty repairs. Here’s an example. $3200 for a steering column. 2 grand for seats. Another example. High repair costs + high failure rates in components that rarely go wrong in other cars = epic shitstorm
  3. Speaking of repairs, given how tesla is mixing and matching parts and chips to keep production going in light of supply chain issues, will there even be parts available for certain VINs? Seems like a repairability nightmare in the future.
  4. Tech obsolescence - I think buyers are assuming they can add FSD at any point once the bugs are worked out. That would require future FSD to work with current hardware which I think is a bad assumption. Musk has promised FSD “by the end of the year” for 9 years now. I can just see it in 2025: “Oh sorry if you want RealFSD you’ll need a 2025+ model year car that now has LIDAR that we claimed for years wasn’t needed.”

I think if I do get one of these, I’m only going to keep it a year or two.

1 Like

Potential Model Y buyer here.

1. I don’t have the crystal ball here, but given the current market driven by chip shortage, I would be surprised to see the market flip that fast.

2 and 3, Yes, out of warranty repair is a real concern. But other than the few examples you gave, is there any large scale stats support higher-than-average maintenance cost after 3yrs?

1. I don’t believe this is a real concern. Yes, I think the FSD is a scam, at least so far. But IRRC, only 10% of tesla buyers actually purchase FSD, so that means most buyers would buy the car regardless of FSD.
1 Like

Knowing what I know now after having a tesla. It makes sense, the litte tech stuff your worried about is a moot point.
If its an only car, id be nervous. But the dual motor cars give a driving experience unlike any ICE car.
So its hard to compare.

If your looking for a “deal” just wait out for an ICE car.

1 Like

Managed to pick up a Model Y Long Range from the drop. Should be taking delivery next week from what the Tesla Rep told me. Let’s see if there is any equity in these things.

6 Likes

Login 3 years from now and let us know how the market is then… till then we will enjoy every bit of our Tesla’s (minus FSD ofcourse)

Not many people hold their cars more than 3-4 years anyway, so no issues/concerns as the warranty covers all-just buy one and be ready for the FUTURE :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

A lot of people have been getting these to wait out the chip shortage because what they would really get is too expensive or unavailable. Teslas are more than capable of being daily drivers and, despite being a little quirky, are relatively fun to drive. If you’re buying for the long term, they hold value pretty well due to elon constantly raising prices. Have mass market models come down a bit in the used market? Absolutely. But value still holds well.

8 Likes

I finally snagged a 22 Model S AWD

9 Likes

Sorry - new to this. With the federal rebates, California credits, is there any case for a buy and flip after 6 months usage?

After recent price increases no
Plus the fuel credit rebate is only 750 now vs $1500

And the $2k rebate takes over 100 days and still won’t break even

Post a picture when you get it
Jelly of that NJ tax

Delivery estimated 2/15 to 2/19. Trying to lock down a paysaver loan w/o PenFed has been hard.

Thought you flipping ? Anothaaaaa one

The yoke is :fire:

No federal tax credits for Tesla anymore

1 Like

I’m preparing in case I need to keep it, because everyone apparently thinks the sky is falling on Tesla resale value. I don’t see how any conclusions can be drawn on Model S AWD, just not many auction datapoints to use as comparables.

1 Like

https://www.vroom.com/inventory/tesla-model-3-2021-5YJ3E1EB1MF097828

Wonder who’s gonna be the lucky purchaser :hot_face::hot_face::hot_face:

2 Likes