Tesla Model 3 News

I can see a future with electric cars, hydrogen cars, gas and diesel. Captalism is about options.

1 Like

I agree in the short term, but with technology advancing the way it is, I really don’t see gas and diesel having any significant benefit over electric/fuel cell on cars. Let’s say theoretically you could charge an electric car to a 200 mile range in 5 minutes (about as long as it takes to pump a tank of gas), would electric then be a fully viable replacement?

I’m not saying you’re wrong, just legitimately trying to understand what the benefits of gas would be assuming technology improves at the rate it is.

If it were up to pure capitalism, the cars would run on an unlimited cheap supply of proletariat blood :slight_smile:

the advantage of gas is it’s abundance, energy density and low price. imagine gas prices if electric cars were to drive fuel prices down.

I think we are a long way from 200 miles in 5 minutes. Lots of reasons why ranging from having to dispose of a massive amount of heat to the impact on the life span of the current batteries. But clearly folks will keep working on this problem. Tesla is the current gold standard with the ability to get to 80% of charge in 30 minutes- figure that to be about 200 miles for a 75D model S. To get to 5 minutes is asking to do the job 6 times faster. That is not just a minor improvement- that is a major revolution.

But even if we get to that there are advantages to gas. Example- what happens when the power grid fails? Think bad storm/hurricane or major earthquake. Gas is also useful in more remote areas where it it is difficult to supply the required power for quick charging.

i would like to see a battery rental system where you can hit an exchange station to swap batteries. it could be faster than gas and you dont own the battery.
However, some people only use excel to car shop. A Leaf is smart but hideous. I don’t choose cars based on whether it will ‘pencil out’. car choices are emotional for many people. I would buy a gas car just to hear it rev.

It’s a viable solution for e-scooter already: Gogoro Smart Energy. It’s just too hard to modularized the battery packs for cars.

Tesla already had a battery swap pilot. It failed miserably and they aren’t continuing it.

Was that the same program where you had to pay to ship your battery back to your house at the end of your trip? I remember Tesla had that for cross country trips. Not the same concept because you would own your battry in that scenario. In my mind, I do not want to own my battery nor charge it.

Here’s some info on it… http://www.teslarati.com/tesla-shuts-down-battery-swap-program-for-superchargers/

From my understanding, the battery was just swapped out, not shipped back or anything like that. The concern was that you would get an older battery with more miles on it, so I guess it failed miserably. These battery swap ideas were great in theory, but in the end people wanted to own their own batteries and know what they’ve been through. I think in the end it won’t matter because battery charging speeds are increasing at ridiculous rates. As soon as you’re able to charge to a 200 mile range in minutes instead of hours, the whole benefit of filling up a gas tank quicker will be a non-issue.

This looks awesome. Yea it’s really too bad you can’t do this with cars. Maybe some day the batteries will be small enough?

No buttons or dashboard makes it very risky interior design

yea, makes me really nervous. It seems like everyone on the Tesla forums are freaking out about it. Even Elon Musk responded to someone’s tweet about it and he just responded “you won’t care”. I’m really not sure what that’s supposed to mean but so far Tesla has been pretty successful providing a really good driving experience, so hopefully we’ll all agree with him once it gets released.

Yeah, weird. Not sure how I’d feel about driving this one. Why not to have at least some kind of display in the usual place :slight_smile:

Heads. Up. Display.

BMW has been doing it since like 2006 so the tech is over 10 years old already. I for one welcome it as it’s so much better than looking down to see information displayed.

sadly Musk said it’s not going to have a HUD either. :frowning: That’s what’s making everyone so nervous. A HUD would be a perfectly reasonable solution, but he tweeted that the Model 3 wouldn’t have one. The only reason I could see Musk saying that you won’t care about a your instrument panel or HUD being right in front of you is that all Model 3s will come fully autonomous at launch. Even if that were the case, it still doesn’t make sense to me.

Elon probably won’t be the CEO in 24 months or so … I get the vibe he’s on the exit path…

That would be extremely surprising since Tesla is his baby. The only thing I could see him being equally passionate about is Space X and his mission to colonize Mars.

Just thought I’d throw this out there for those of you who are curious about the car not having an instrument panel or HUD… http://www.xautoworld.com/tesla/no-need-hud-model-3-know-why/

Hopefully it works as well as they’re suggesting.

LoL…

“Chris just wasn’t the right fit for Tesla, and we’ve decided to make a change,” a Tesla spokeswoman told Reuters in an email on Tuesday.

“Turns out that Tesla isn’t a good fit for me after all,” Lattner, who worked at Apple Inc (AAPL.O) for more than a decade before joining Tesla in January, tweeted. “I’m interested to hear about interesting roles for a seasoned engineering leader!”

I’m not so sure he “quit”. Definitely not a good sign either way.