Tesla Model 3 News

Musk is something else. He’s got problems with getting the Model 3 production started. Instead of focusing on that…why not open a restaurant.

1 Like

Well at least a restaurant is easier than a human brain interface. :smirk:

But seriously food and a half hour of charging is a natural combo on a road trip. The drive-in style makes perfect sense too, as you’ll have one charger per stall.

Tesla should contract out running the restaurant as it would make zero sense for them to take that on themselves.

1 Like

Contracting it out…that would make sense. Building it from the ground up and self managing…not the brightest idea he’s had.

1 Like

Only half a year off…and hilariously a base trim will only cost $10k more than a model 3. The fully loaded one is $25k more with vastly better interior quality.

That’s a decent looking car. Problem is, it’s overpriced for mainstream America. Arguably, so is the Tesla now that the base model is vaporware.

One is a sedan, the other is a crossovver. I am not sure if they are the same thing. I think Tesla’s mistake is releasing the 3 before the Y. I am looking at the XC60, people are willing to pay 65K for them!!!

2 Likes

Great review. Some of the stuff is definitely user preference. To me the look of the Model 3 is way better than most of the cars on the road, but obviously I’m biased. :wink: Also having access to the supercharger network is a huge positive as well.

The i-pace seems to be a great EV entry, but what’s hilarious is what’s NOT included on the base model at $70k. That won’t even get you DRLs. :joy:

I don’t think it’s going to affect Model 3 sales. Model X is more likely, but that’s a 3-row vs 2-row for the about the same money so it depends on your needs.

1 Like

Bloomberg’s round up of Model 3 reviews to date. Basically, this seems to be the gist of them:

Driving experience: Very good, fun, sports car feel
Build quality/fit and finish: Bad
Rear seats: Very uncomfortable (worse than the Bolt’s front seats even?)
Infotainment system/center console: HORRIBLE. Even the mostly positive reviews call out the center touchscreen.

The center display is one of my biggest gripes. A regular infotainment system can arguably be a point of distraction let alone this thing which controls virtually everything on the car.

In addition, it makes it such a critical point of failure. If that screen dies or goes haywire while driving, and it’s been reported to have happened already, you’re going to be in a world of hurt.

And VW/Audi), Volvo and probably some others now have display with navi and other stuff right in front of you in the middle, which is great.

Bonus…if that TFT should die, you can still turn on your lights/wipers.

1 Like

But it will never die, according to @ng0. The same way the phone will never die or be stolen, or dropped :slight_smile:

1 Like

If that should happen, you just roll the window down, stick your hand out the window and operate it manually…no big deal :grimacing:

And most cars still have the display behind the steering wheel in addition to a center display. If the center display were to die in my Bolt, it would be an annoyance versus a major crisis in the 3, as I can still see all the critical info in the other display. And turn on/off the wipers. Lol

1 Like

I think they hit it out of the park with driving experience. Obviously Camry and Accord owners won’t like the fit/finish/bugs but people who drive Jag/Rover/Alfas are more tolerant to car issues.

I would rather have a sports-car-like experience with bugs than a Camry like experience with reliability. Just me.

I’d agree with that statement all day if you were able to lease it and walk away at the end of term. You’re stuck with this thing for the long haul though, unless you sell it. God only knows what blue book will look like on this thing in 3 years. Might be great…might be atrocious.

And that’s why the savvy leasehackr will wait before getting in the Model 3. Let @ng0 iron out the bugs. Nowhere did I say I am rushing out to get one. I like the Model 3. I will wait for the dust to settle. Early adopters always pay a premium - just ask bro and his BOLT lol!!! YOu can get his BOLT for at least 7k less than what he paid for last year (and you won’t have to track the BOLT on the train either since it is sitting there at the dealership).

This week I picked up a Samsung Curved UHD for 700 and change. 2 years ago it was 2k+

When did I ever say your phone will never die? I would always carry my backup key card in my wallet so I’m not sure where you’re getting that idea.

1 Like

Someone mentioned it at some point. I don’t think it was you actually, and he was being facetious since you’re so pro-Tesla. Just razzing you.

1 Like