Tesla Model 3 News

Tesla’s stock price is at $325/share right now. Obviously investors disagree with what you’re saying. Generally I would agree with you that making super optimistic estimates that the company obviously won’t be able to meet would be a bad thing, but I guess investors have been willing to overlook it. You claim that investors and non-“fanboys” are getting tired of it, but the stock price and ridiculous amount of reservations again don’t support your theory.

The stock price remains high for now. There are investment articles indicating patience is running thin, unless they aren’t to be believed. There are also a fair amount of people reporting they have dumped their reservation, or are contemplating it. Numerous reports of quality issues or requiring repairs right out of the gate. Not everyone feels it’s “no big deal” to have to call for service immediately after taking delivery of a 50k car, sometimes multiple times. Yes, every manufacturer has lemons. But when you’re producing 20k cars a month vs 1500, the percentages don’t work well in Tesla’s favor.

Maybe I’ll be proven wrong, and Tesla will erase all doubts in the upcoming months. I wouldn’t bet anything substantial on that based on track record thus far.

a former coworker of mine had a rule. The quality of software is inversely proportionally to the ease of updating the software.

I’m not sure what should or shouldn’t be believed. What I do know is that currently investors are showing extreme confidence in Tesla regardless of the negative press and stock shorts that have continuously tried to attack Tesla. Like I said, I’m not an investor, and don’t plan to be now that the stock price is so ridiculously high, but all articles that state this theoretical “impatience” just haven’t proven true yet. Yes there are numerous reports of quality issues, but that’s not surprising for a brand new car and brand new technology. Yes, I’m willing to suck it up and go to a service center if I find my model 3 to have issues because in every other way I feel it’s far superior to every other car on the road (that I can afford). No not everyone is going to give it a pass, but not everyone is going to find issues either. I don’t have any numbers, but if the Tesla forums are any indication then the percentage of people having quality issues with their cars is very tiny.

Amusing theory, but having been a software engineer for 15+ years, I completely disagree. I think the quality of the software is proportional to the quality of the engineers.

1 Like

shrug. even good engineers when they have the ability to deploy fixes easily, will deploy worse code initially

More fun things to read about

tesla-workers-say-almost-half-model-3-parts-need-rework

CNBC now reports current and former Tesla workers saying almost half of the parts made at or produced for the EV startup’s Fremont, California assembly plant don’t meet production standards, forcing rework and end-of-line repairs, as well as impairing morale in the facility.

Didn’t someone post that exact same article yesterday?

It’s a re-analysis of the original CNBC storyline.

But more importantly, Can’t let anyone to miss this important breaking story.

1 Like

It’s less breaking than it was yesterday… And still just as questionable. :stuck_out_tongue:

On March 12, 2008 Bear Stearn’s stock price was $62/share, four days later on March 16th it closed at $2/share.

I’ve never heard of that company and no idea how that’s relevant. A more relevant comparison would be how GM was $93 per share and tanked to 75 cents per share at one point.

Bear Sterns was the first major wall street titan to fall during the Great Recession.

You’ve never heard of bear Stearns? The first US investment bank to go bankrupt in a century and harbinger of the 2008 recession?:thinking:

The point is stock price often isn’t worth a can of beans with regards to the health of the company.

Please tell me where I made that claim? The only claim I made was that investors are obviously not showing a lack of confidence in the company, hence the high stock price. When Tesla drops more than 20% in stock value, then I’ll concede that your supposed reports are accurate.

But it has done that before though? First week of February in 2016 Tesla stock dropped from nearly 200 to 140.

Looking at the bigger picture, Tesla stock reached $260 all the way back in March 2014 when the S&P was below 1900, years before the Model 3 was unveiled. Today the S&P is 50% higher at 2747 and Tesla has released the model 3 to massive pre-orders and positive press, yet the stock is only at $320?

Enthusiasm for its stock has clearly weaned.

1 Like

Right on. Like I said, I’m by no means a finance guy so if you are and you believe the stock price at $320/share is low then I’ll take your word for it. To me the valuation seems really high for a company that isn’t making a profit, but to each their own.

Valuations were high for dot-com companies that were in the red at the turn of the century too…until they crashed and were worth nothing.

1 Like

yup anything’s possible. There’s also companies that were insanely successful. Like anything else, it’s a gamble. Again, I don’t have a crystal ball and I’m not a financial advisor so I’ll leave that to the experts. I’m just pointing out that investor confidence is still relatively strong.

FYI… back on topic to real Model 3 news…

I’m not so worried about rear heated seats here in San Diego but some of the other features current owners have been really excited about. The fix to the phone key is gonna be super important and the rearranged screen controls is reportedly really convenient.

A couple things that the official OTA update document doesn’t mention is the backup screen quality has improved tremendously and Wifi has been enabled (so you don’t need to rely on having great LTE service during updates.

Oh there’s also some reports that there were improvements to autopilot. I’m not sure if this is true, but hopefully we’ll get confirmation soon.

1 Like