Tesla Model 3 News

1500 means 50 a day - so by end of today, they should have produced and delivered more than the last 2 months :slight_smile:

Muskā€™s numbers were based on production numbers, not necessarily delivery numbers. If theyā€™re on schedule (and I realize thatā€™s a very big if), then I would guess Tesla would be at 5-10 per day coming off the line. Iā€™d expect that Teslaā€™s exponential production growth wonā€™t suddenly jump from 3/day to 50/day. Will probably be something like 5/day in early Sept, 50/day around the Sept 15 and 100-150/day by the end of the month. Seems like a lot, but theyā€™re talking about 700+/day in December!

Super glad I dropped my deposit.

The build on the car would be pushing 50k. By the time you factor in the federal credit dropping to 3750 I could lease a 7 series for the same monthly.

Most likely if you were a 0 day reservation holder (mar 31, 2016), youā€™d end up qualifying for the 7500. The option was still on the table to get the $35K option 3 months later which would like still qualify for 3750 actually bringing your cost to just over $31K. Thatā€™s pretty much on par with the cost of the Bolt, similar range and in my opinion a million times cooler.

Iā€™m glad youā€™re happy with your decision! The Model 3 definitely isnā€™t for everyone, but obviously Iā€™m super excited about it.

For those still interested in the Model 3, Iā€™m happy to hear that some employees on the Model 3 forums are scheduled to take delivery in a week or two! Hoping to have more info soon! Theyā€™ve confirmed that the interest rate through Tesla is 2.74% (a little higher than I was hoping for, but still very good). Also, the delivery fee is $1k instead of the $1200 they charge for the Model S/X. I looked into some other credit unions and I might be able to get a 2% interest rate.

I wanted AWD so even being in the employee queue was not going to get it soon enough to make the tax credit cut. When you add in the fact the upgrades are extraordinarily expensive I mind as well just buy a model s.

Fair enough. Here in SoCal thereā€™s no point to get AWD other than for performance and efficiency reasons. Also, if youā€™re comparing apples to apples, the D model of the Model S will run you $100K+, so the difference really would be crazy significant. If I were in a snowy place, thereā€™s no question Iā€™d want the dual motor version. Then again, if I were in a snowy place, I probably wouldnā€™t be considering a small car. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m in a snowy place and will simply buy a set of winter tires as I have for my last 2 RWD cars. Total non-issue.

Plus I get the added benefit of drastically reduced stopping distances on snow/ice vs either FWD or AWD on all seasons. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Any updates on production numbers? Target was 1500 in September. Do we see 500 having been produced so far?
How about that Tesla Semi reveal in October?

Tesla is being quite secretive on production numbers. To my knowledge there is no new information.

But if you want to sift the tea leaves to get some insight here are two linked stories that have one good and one bad implication for high rate production

The positive spin on Tesla Production

The not so positive spin on Tesla production

You can do that with AWD too. I live in a snowy place too, I have AWD/4WD on my vehicles and snow tires in the winter. Yeah itā€™s an added expense, but well worth the money. When I first moved here I had RWD and tried the snow tire only thing. It sorta, kinda worked, but it was still a PIA going up hills. After my first winter sold them both, got AWD and have never looked back.

Good question. Iā€™ve seen pictures of VINs in the 300ā€™s but thatā€™s about it (couldnā€™t get confirmation if those were pre-production or not). Iā€™m hearing a lot of talk of people having already configured their cars and expecting them before the end of the month on the Model 3 forum Iā€™m on. So far all employees (and family of employees). One guy was saying that his estimated delivery date was October and theyā€™ll be delivering it before the end of the month! Thatā€™s either a sign that theyā€™re well ahead of schedule or maybe employees just arenā€™t able to afford the $50k price tag of these initial deliveries. Either way, good sign for those of us waiting!

Oh yeah, I agree that AWD + winter tires is the best ā€œmoney no objectā€ way to do it. No doubt! And also agree it is a MUCH bigger factor in a mountainous area.

I suspect the vast, vast majority of folks with AWD run all seasons year round and are oblivious to the fact that AWD with all seasons is worse in the majority of snow/ice situations (outside mountains) than RWD with winter tires.

We always take our RWD + winter tire car on snow days over the FWD + all season car. Itā€™s like night and day when stopping.

1 Like

Where I live, everyone seems to have winters. Lots of studs too, which make that awful sound. Starting around mid October, there is a 2 hr wait at all the tire shops in town as everyone does the switch. Then the same thing mid April to switch back to all season/summer tires.

Last winter I rented a POS FWD compact and had to drive through snow. Iā€™d forgotten how hard it is to safely stop sans snow tires and how hard it is to go in a straight line up even the slightest incline without AWD.

1 Like

Really? Thatā€™s awesome as it would likely lower your risk too if everyone else uses proper tires for the season. This concerns me a bit where I live, as I seem to be in the minority. :slightly_frowning_face:

The one problem I have with my RWD routine is right around the season change when there can sometimes be a ā€œsurpriseā€ snow before/after I put on the winter tires. In my case I could take the other car but AWD would address this somewhat too.

Good point, if others use good tires everyone is safer.

You also see an army of 1997 Subarus or 4WD Toyota trucks suddenly come out of hibernation. Beater cars for the winter. And even those have studded tires, lol.

This is what happens when you have the wrong drivetrain/tires. You can spot who has winter/AWD vs who doesnā€™t in that video pretty easily,.

1 Like

Makes me thankful that I donā€™t live in a snowy place and never have to drive in snow! Seems like a lot of extra hassle you have to worry about!

It is but having 4 distinct seasons has its benefits too.

You take out the mower
You put back the mower
You tune up the snow blower
You run the snow blower
You put back the snow blower
You tune up the mower
You take out the mower ā€¦ repeat ad infinitum
Yay!!!

I wish Tesla would make a battery operated mower that also blows snow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nah itā€™s more like the beauty of nature. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Vin #177 walkaround,.
I have to say the car looks good in red. I like the innovation but I am concerned it will now be 4-5 years before a model 3 becomes a ā€œbuy from inventoryā€ type of car. Not to say lease hack ā€¦ :smile: