Tesla Demo Cars, Residual now based off of Discount price not MSRP

I ended up trying to lease another Model S demo. The car had a discount of $50,600. My sales advisor told me that he confirmed leasing was available for the car. I put a deposit on the car.

The car had an original MSRP of $143,500 and the discounted price was $94,100 (Doc fee $75+ Dest $1,125). The finance team came back today and told me the payment would be $1371 with $2,500 down. The numbers should be in the $700’s. Found out they now use the taxable subtotal to calculate the residual vs the original MSRP. This changed the end of last month.

With the new pricing on the Model S, the demo deals get discounted very little by using the taxable subtotal.

Just a heads up for anyone that was searching for a deep discount on a Tesla.

Cancelled my order on the car.

6 Likes

An industry first practice ? If others follow the course , this would kill loaner deals .

You could get (before this change) a model S demo for $700s plus $2500 down???

1 Like

I also feel like Tesla leasing is a free for all, this may be the case you had and their official stance but I would like to see a few more data points to confirm. Thank you for brining this up, it’s definitely an eye opener.

2 Likes

If this catches on this whole site may cease to exist :joy:

5 Likes

Old news but yeah tesla doesn’t want people to lease.

Tesla doesn’t even want their cars back!

3 Likes

Never happen bc then instead of a dealer trying to move 10 demos, they’ll have to move 100 of them. Even a consumer who doesn’t know how the sausage is made, can compare the payments side by side and realize a penalized loaner is not worth taking over a new car.

I think it is possible. If happens , it will simply increase prices of the loaners making them closer to new . Consumer - at the lack of competition and alternatives- will simply suck it up and move on.

We might see floating buildings too :man_shrugging:t2: