Tesla competition

I don’t expect it’s going to be all that different from the Taycan. Certainly not enough for VAG to move the EV needle.

I want to see a legit Model 3/Y competitor in range/price/performance. Nobody is close unfortunately, that before talking charging networks.

Isn’t that what Ford is supposed to be doing with the mustang e? And volvo with the polestar 2?

1 Like

Fisker Ocean might be that competitor.

I have hopes for the Mach E, but it doesn’t seem you can get range and performance in the same trim. We’ll see.

The Lucid Air looks pretty nice but if they were actually serious about this, they’d come out with a compact SUV first. We’re in a situation where even during a global pandemic, a RAV 4 plug-in hybrid is commanding $5k over MSRP and waiting lists. For a RAV 4!

A well styled compact SUV with decent range, decent performance and priced around $40k and below is there they need to be at.

What are the odds it makes it to market as described by 2022? Many good EVs on paper today, very few available to purchase.

That’s cool. Thing is the flexibility of the Tesla SC network is what really cements their position…

Not sure. I do have a pre-order on that and a Cybertruck, but a lot can change in 1-2 years. We’ll see what my next vehicle is when the time comes.

The sub-$40k starting price is not bad at all. It was reported last year that Lucid Motors was also working on an SUV. If they eventually decide to mass produce one at that same price point, I might be interested down the road.

I think I would be too scared to buy a used EV with the layers of complicated tech the Germans put in their cars. But hey, in 2 years an RS6 avant may be had at a reasonable price on the used market and that wouldn’t be so bad :stuck_out_tongue:

The ID.3 has already debuted, and spy pics of the ID.4 have been circulating around for awhile already. They look very… functional. Slightly more curvaceous than the usual VWs.

The Audi Q4 E-tron and XC40 Recharge will presumably compete roughly the same space as a Model 3/Y, so it’ll be interesting to see how the market reacts.

Many of these other EVs aren’t sold in mass volumes because they are money losers, sold in minimum numbers just to satisfy regulations. If VW can sell the ID cars at high volume it’ll show they have positive gross margins.

I was under the impression Tesla does not make money on their cars, even at volume. I think the difference with them vs. your traditional automakers is they actually are priced based on their real business, where as Tesla is propped up by wall street.

No, they have positive gross margins. Tesla says it made a gross margin of 25.5 percent on its vehicles. They make more profit the more cars they sell.

When they lose money or break even it’s because their heavy R&D and capital expansion costs. As an investor, you don’t want them to be too profitable right now at the expense of not expanding. As a company with the first mover advantage you want them to expand as fast as possible before competition catches up.

1 Like

This is really out of the blue, but I had a customer who were looking for Tesla S and asked about a 12,000 mile residual. I told him I did not know and Tesla has their own residual because they technically are not the dealership and can configure the lease number online. The very next week, he comes back from the Tesla store mad, because they don’t know what the residual was. FML

LOL definitely don’t lease a Tesla, we’re talking 2% rule :grimacing:

They were offering a little north of 160k for a PM role, equity was barely there. But I just didn’t feel comfortable with the team, nothing wrong but I felt they weren’t agressive enough and too laid back for my taste. I’ve worked in automotive before, and worked closely with Nissan and Chrysler.
And if you want to go against Tesla, you gotta hire the best talent man…

1 Like

Tesla’s interview process is thing of its own. I interviewed twice in 2014-16, it was quite an experience. Since then, I have had 5 friends who worked for Tesla in last 3 years who quit. Wanna guess why?

1 Like

Apparently, this is mainly driven by lack of inventory. Toyota was only planning to produce 5000 (for the yr, I assume), and it won’t even be able to do that:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33266528/2021-toyota-rav4-prime-supply-demand/

One dealership in the Bay area says that they’ve sold out their allotment for the year!

So I assume SpaceX has similar turnover?

2 Likes

Which is a crazy small number. I get that they have production issues and Toyota is a VERY cautious company - but even the regular RAV4 Hybrid was and remains very popular. Pre-Covid, Toyota was well on track to sell 500,000 RAV4’s a year. Mind boggling numbers.

So a significantly faster and vastly more efficient version was always going to be far more popular than a paltry 5,000 units.

1 Like