Tesla bankruptcy?

1 Like

coss, just stop. the entire point is the Elon, as I have said countless times, is a liar. It is obvious to us all that autopilot is just a fancy word for adaptive cruise control and lane assist. The point is Elon oversells, lies, misguides. Stop being ignorant.

I am not seeing your logic. Autopilot is not self driving, some people are using it like it is. So everyone has to be responsible for their dumb action? E-AP and FSD are not free, the owners know what they are getting themselves into.

You have a lot of problem with the sales person, rightfully so, but you are blaming everything on some retail sales person? One of the Subaru salesperson told me I can go fast in the snow because of how amazing their AWD is. Should I sue Subaru if I lose control and crash?

You are right it is a glorify cruise control and autosteer, but they happen to be better at it than most other cars and it’s pretty amazing what it can do to your drive once you put everything together.

Apparently it’s not obvious enough as some people still don’t know what the system can and can not do. The owners that know what the system can do and choose to ignore it are even worse, they ruin it for everyone that play by the rules. I downloaded an update last night, Autopilot is now more restrictive than before. I am guessing all the big incidents forced Tesla to be more conservative on what they allow the owners to do.

I don’t have a fascination with Elon Musk, I can only tell you what products they have available at the moment. If he dies tomorrow, I still think Tesla has a good enough product that it will survive.

Will make it simple for you: is autopilot supposed to keep the car in its lane, and stop the car when there is another stationery car in front of it? Both without driver’s involvement. Yes/No.

I think we just have to agree to disagree here

I am not referring to one sale person, but a size able group of Tesla users and owners due to my family’s work situation.

According to the manual, it will do what it can but there will be times where the driver has to take over (see screenshot, first page under the driver assistance section). In my personal experience, 99% of the time it works fine. I do pay attention so I don’t have to play roulette at every stop light (you are not supposed to use it when they have red lights). Before I bought my car, I had the very same question for other Tesla owners as I wasn’t sure if the car saw stopped traffic as it didn’t feel like it was going to stop.

Also remember this, these cars have gone through a lot of changes and they all could be running different software version or even hardware. What is happening on one car might not be the same for the other, my car runs noticeably better today than the day I got it 5 months ago. The red light roulette problem was way worse before 2018.

This is another warning from the owner’s manual

Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control
cannot detect all objects and may not
brake/decelerate for stationary vehicles
or objects, especially in situations when
you are driving over 50 mph (80 km/h)
and in situations where a vehicle you are
following moves out of your driving path
and a stationary vehicle or object is in
front of you. Always pay attention to the
road ahead and stay prepared to take
immediate corrective action. Depending
on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to avoid a
collision can result in serious injury or
death. In addition, Traffic-Aware Cruise
Control may react to vehicles or objects
that either do not exist or are not in the
lane of travel, causing Model X to slow
down unnecessarily or inappropriately.

You still did not answer simple question and keep avoiding reality. No one but Tesla calls their system autopilot and Tesla marketed it as such, when it’s not much different from many other systems. “Autopilot” is a dangerous term in cars, but of course Tesla covered its ass in legal disclosures. The fact is that it doesn’t always work even in straight forward situations, like keeping the lane or preventing head on crash. Subaru’s Eyesight supposed to prevent hitting the car in front and may not work under certain conditions, so if it fails to prevent a crash it would be on Subaru. Why do you think it should be different for Tesla when autopilot fails?

2 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better.

I’m sure Subaru also has those legal disclosures as well and states “The driver is always responsible for safe and attentive driving.” I don’t see how you could put it on Subaru.

Definitely, you don’t see the point. Any manufacturer is responsible for failure of their technology, including Tesla. Did not not stop when it should have - failure.

Autopilot is a term used on airplanes. With the exception of new planes, most simply keep your heading, altitude and speed. It has no idea if you are about to fly into a mountain range, just look at Germanwings flight 9525. You already made your own determination as to what autopilot is, even if they tell you what it can or can’t do. Also the word is autopilot, not auto-driver. Since when did we start referring drivers of an automobile as pilots?

There are no system above Level 2 out there for production vehicles in the us. Autopilot, super cruise, Palm pilot assist, eyesight and all the other system require you to look at the road. Big beard is right that all of them are glorify cruise control and lane assist, but they have a lot more logic in them than a traditional car.

When Tesla started calling it that? Just look at their AP page, who wouldn’t think that it can fully drive itself?

2 Likes

Ummm the term hardware doesn’t catch your attention? The fact that you need to pay an additional $8500 doesn’t get your attention? The autopilot is a term they use to describe a set of features they have.

No one is arguing about whether there’s a confusion about which cars are equipped with autopilot hardware. I think you completely missed Jon’s point which is that Tesla is overestimating the capabilities of its autopilot software.

“Full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver.”

Except when it doesn’t work, and the human driver has to take over the avoid a crash? Tesla doesn’t get to have it both ways. If autopilot requires driver input to avoid accidents, it is NOT a “full self-driving” system.

2 Likes

Wow.
So you’re saying Tesla marketing isn’t 100% accurate.
That makes them TOTALLY different from everyone else’s marketing eh?

Meanwhile, if I had the money, there’s no car I’d rather have than a Model S.

Subject matters. Advertising an inflated MPG is very different than advertising an Full self driving feather that can crash. Some products or professions allow much less room for error than other. Most of us believe self driving feature should belong to this category. And some don’t.

BTW, before advertising auto pilot, Tesla need to first make sure their auto parallel park, the low speed easy stuff, works properly first. Even this fails from to time. Right, full self driving!!

1 Like

They better be 100% damn accurate when it comes to autopilot. People have died while using autopilot in Teslas. If you’re okay with people getting killed in the name of some creative marketing, you’re way past bring a Tesla fanboy and need serious help.

That’s your spin on how people have died.

People die in cars in lots of ways. And usually via pilot error.

Yeah, blame the victims who trusted autopilot.

1 Like