Taxes on car when moving

Nothing I have written herein is to be construed as tax or legal advice.

3 Likes

Thank you brother . That was a great write up. Lot of helpful information there. I also just looked into the pdf form and I’m not sure if that ones the right one for me. It seems that one is more for Cali residents who are purchasing/leasing cars to be used out of state. That form looks like it’s geared more for a cali resident who wants to use a car solely out of state, and avoid paying cali in-state taxes on a vehicle that will only be used out of state.

Thank you again for taking the time for the extensive write up. I’m sure it’ll help a lot of people here

Edit:

Spoke with NJ division of taxation and you need to fill out form A3730 if you are in my situation. I confirmed that it’s the correct form to use despite it stating business refund on the form. I was advised to send in a copy of the contract indicating how much sales tax was paid upfront, and copy of the new state (cali) registration , as proof. Was not given a time frame as to when refund would be processed and returned. Will update at some point in 8 months if I hear back lol.

Did you hear back from them?