Taking advantage of glut of returned leases

I’ve been hearing about how auto makers are facing a ton of returned leases and its changing their forecasts. Here is a link to an article on this topic:https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-23/ford-seen-as-canary-with-record-leases-spurring-used-car-glut

So my question to the community is what would you recommend for the best deals? Buy used, lease new or lease a pre-owned vehicle?

Thanks

Always take advantage of the glut. If there are lots of new cars, then lease them cheap. If there are lots of used cars, then buy them cheap. If SUVs are hot, then look for sedans.

2 Likes

I’ve been saying the recent ‘perfect storm’ of great lease deals (high RV + low MF + big discount/rebate) cannot last…It will be interesting to see how they respond. The ones that have heavily pushed leasing 'til now will be the most affected…they probably cannot change their RVs drastically and have payments go up, say, by 50%. They might let their RVs fall less than in reality and lower their MF to keep the payments from going up too much.

Otherwise I agree with what VHooloo said…