T-mobile data breach: 100M users potentially affected

Not this $hit again…. I know our data is already out there in the wild (thanks Experian - had someone open couple department store CCs and charge thousands of $$$ on them).

I just had someone open BB&T bank account under my name, never even heard of this bank until few days ago. Thankfully their anti-fraud dept caught it right away and froze the account. I wonder if this could be related, I was T-mobile customer several years ago.

Froze my credit profile with all 3 agencies. Wish I would have done it earlier.

3 Likes

I can’t catch a break between Audi and T mobile with these data leaks.

5 Likes

I normally monitor my credit report every month and also have alerts set up. But recently I’ve frozen my credit profile too.

I’m also a victim of Audi data leak and I was a T-mobile customer. Probably as a consolation affected users will get 2 years of idx credit monitoring service.

Semi-regular reminder:

8 Likes

Anyone who hasn’t frozen all of their credit files since Equifax mess should really do that now. There is virtually no reason to keep your files not frozen aside from the minor inconvenience of taking extra 5 minutes to temporarily unfreeze them when applying for new credit.

7 Likes

BB&T credit has a SP prequalify page that allows you to check the pre-approved credit limit before incurring a hard pull (HP) and then alerting you.

This type of online pre-approval credit card system (FNBO, BBVA, Capital One, Chase and Amex) can use your info to see if you are credit worthy to apply for a HP.

Rather scary that criminals can “pre-check” your credit limit before they apply for credit on your profile!

100M people actually have T-Mobile? I don’t know anyone, nor have I ever met anyone that has T mobile as their carrier.

1 Like

104+M to be exact. Merger with Sprint didn’t hurt, either.

2 Likes

I use T-mobile

1 Like

Several years ago they had a crazy offer to buy out your existing phone and put you on an unlimited plan that was about half the price of Verizon. I took the deal and didn’t look back, at least until I heard about this!

1 Like

After having my data, fingerprints, etc hacked from the us gov, I am really apathetic whenever I see a leak like this.

8 Likes

That’s ultimately where we are as a society. There will be no punishments, there will be no changes, everyone will get their useless credit monitoring for a year where required by specific state laws and the world keeps spinning. Whatever “penalties” will be imposed is cost of doing business and are part of their insurance anyway.

As a consumer there is absolutely nothing we can do except freeze the reports, hope that the next credit bureau hack won’t screw that up somehow, and bitch to each other on the forums. Really depressing state of affairs.

1 Like

Yup, thats how it works – They dont even offer you the premium credit monitoring.

Same, but I went back within a couple months. Coverage issues on nearly every business trip.

Same fam. To find out your information and biometrics (everything but your FBI file) were stolen - because of a sales demo to OPM (not because of any good security practices or audit, but a potential new vendor caught it) :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

I had all my bureaus frozen before, I keep a close eye on everything. But these companies need bigger penalties or this shit won’t stop.

4 Likes

I use T-Mobile.

But I am the only person I know who uses it…

I wonder how much of my data they have if I’m on a MVNO like Google Fi… anything? Certainly hopefully not anything payment data related considering I’d hope that’s just a pass thru between TMo and Google, but I presume they would know at some level that I exist? :face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_monocle:

1 Like

From everything I’ve read, it’s customer information from their billing system, so unless the MVNO has out-sourced their customer accounts back to the carrier (which IIRC Sprint occasionally did), or they own the MVNO (which they don’t FI) – they shouldn’t have any information.

Now if Verizon got hacked similarly, Visibile might be at risk. Likewise ATT/Cricket (assuming they ever finished their integration project).

Not a guaranteed way to know, but you should be registered here if you aren’t already:

1 Like

Well this sucks:

Oh no — pwned!

Pwned in 18 data breaches

1 Like