Swapping Bolt in For Traverse-Now what?

I just signed my Swap of Collateral offer from Chevy.

Swapping into a 2022 Chevy Traverse 1LT MSRP $39,XXX with another 17 months left on lease no payments since one pay. My residual is $20,770.

Now the question is do I drive the Traverse for another year (10kmiles) with no payments and then sell it.

Or, do I try and sell it as soon as I get it and put the gains ($16k?) towards a Tesla?

Option A defers Tesla payments for a year or so but diminishes resale value (not sure how much).

Option B Maximizes equity gains but introduces Tesla payments.

What would you do?

Appreciate any feedback, please ask if I left something important out.

Gas is covered so thats not a factor.

Insuring a Tesla is more expensive $75 more a month.

Thanks!

If I were to guess, a Traverse would depreciate at a faster rate than a Tesla initially, but the more important question is which vehicle would you rather drive, and which vehicle better suits your needs?

Also, if you were to order a Tesla today, it could take months, if not years, depending on the model you choose, so you might be without a vehicle if you sell the Traverse immediately.

2 Likes

I agree a Traverse would depreciate faster than a Tesla. The numbers that I need to crunch are the price I can get for it brand new VS in a year from now.

I have a Tesla order from Sept '21 that keeps getting pushed but if I complete my profile I should see it soon.

There goes your answer. When you get Tesla VIN dump the Chevy.

2 Likes

Why are you waiting? At some point Tesla will just decide not to build your pre-price hike car any more.

2 Likes

I was waiting since I was driving the Bolt for free and didn’t need it.

I haven’t heard of any reports of that happening, though at some point they do assign it a VIN even if the profile wasn’t filled out.

Do you have any DPs showing otherwise?

I think max_g was under the impression that you put your order on Hold.

I don’t check the “model 3 waiting rooms” on the Tesla forums any more but there were a couple people (at least) who gave up and took inventory after never getting their Feb/March 2021-ordered SR+ cars while Summer (and later) orders were being delivered left and right.

And that was a relatively small price hike (37,990 to 39,990)

1 Like

Thanks for the input. Filled out my profile.

Got 17 months until this lease is up and I have to figure it out.

Hopefully the Tesla comes sooner. EDD August 14-Sept 21

So now Tesla will decide when I sell out of this Traverse.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.