Suggestions for a family of 6

Just a note to everyone because I may not have been clear. I love minivans. We HAVE a 2019 Odyssey. I’m not against one, I just wanted input on the outdoor/off road capabilities. To be honest, if Odyssey had AWD, we would probably get another one hands down.

@max_g Thanks for the rec. We have Blizzaks on the Odyssey that we have put on every winter thus far, it just doesn’t snow much where we live. It’s funny because i’m from Minnesota. I had a honda civic with AS tires and didn’t bat an eye nor cared to have winter tires. Sure Oregon is hillier so winter driving is not an apples to apples comparison, but with KIDS, your perspective on safety and life completely changes.

Not that it matters, but in case someone else is in the same boat as me. We’ve owned a 2015 MDX, a 2016 QX60, and a 2019 4Runner.
I haven’t personally seen the new MDXs but I could never get past the fact of 2 screens for the infotainment. It drove me nuts. Also, the 3rd row was tiny. As with most non-large SUVs with 3 rows. With the third row seats up, you have almost no trunk space. Most parents need to carry around more than just a stroller.
The QX60 second row seats do a nice slide and tilt which made getting into the 3rd row more accessible but it’s still not easy. Also, the 3rd row is small. The “SUV” drive is horrible IMHO and the CVT drive me nuts. I dreaded driving that car just because it was not enjoyable and the fuel economy was horrible. I am an eco driver (according to several cars), I don’t drive fast or have the RPM above 3k, but I averaged 14-16MPG in the QX. Even in my 4Runner i average 21MPG.

The reason I care about the third row is with a car seat, how close the back of the 2nd row matters a lot. There’s no leg room for kids to move the legs around and them kicking the 2nd row seat will definitely cause non-stop arguments.

@chrishs2000 lol. i’ll say it again, magic slides seats are MONEY. Slide seat to middle, kids get in the back, slide it back. Kids are fighting, slide them apart. Have a big box? Slide them over.

@Bluemkn57cars sorry to those that +1 the Pacifica. I just can’t do that gauge cluster. It’s too try-hard for me. Again, this was in 2018 when were shopping for a minivan.

@IAC sorry man! i can’t justify getting an X7. :stuck_out_tongue: As someone mentioned, kids are messy. I swear my kids shove goldfish and crackers in their car seats on purpose…

@nyccarguy [quote=“nyccarguy, post:17, topic:318862”]
4th kid? Obviously you need to do more outdoor activities;).
[/quote] ROFL!!

@asfarr86 & @TheBigTuna Please… I’ve done that and more. I have more pictures but can’t locate them ATM.

K guys. Sienna or Odyssey it is!! Now just to find a deal. RV on minivans aren’t the greatest because they know how messy kids are.

1 Like

They sure do it to mine already :wink:

1 Like

A minivan like sienna and a vasectomy

2 Likes

Used Costco playset that I got for $250, disassembled and loaded into the van. The woman told me it would take “3 trips” LOL. I shame the fellas at Home Depot when I show up with the seats out :laughing:

5 Likes

Pretty solid right there. I love shaming the hardware store types, especially here in Texas where most have “real trucks”…

2 Likes

I forgot to mention:

What about the MB Sprinter passenger 144 AWD? I’ve seen those at mount hood.
Here would be a bonus. Actually having space to do things in the car besides sitting comfortably such as eating or lounging in the car with ample space.

Anyone here have a Sprinter?

It’ll fit a family of 7 I think… :joy: (sorry, couldn’t resist that)

2 Likes

Stop giving me ideas.

1 Like

The Dodge Durango may suit your needs. It has enough seating capacity, double ground clearance of a minivan and decent engine options. Slap a roof rack and you solved the cargo issues. Tech should be better than some competition (looking at Infiniti)

Ideas = Sprinter or family of 7? Lol

1 Like

We bought a 2019 Sprinter 144 passenger wagon (but 2wd) for our growing family and large dogs.

We really like it. Tons of space (duh), so you can not only have 8 people and dogs and stuff but also not feel crowded.

Plus the psychological benefit of the tall roof on long drives is nice. Feels much more open inside.

The one thing I would note is that it’s definitely a step more “commercial” than an Odyssey or Sienna.

We ended up adding extra insulation and sound deadening and that helped quiet it down a bunch.

Happy to answer any specific questions, but I would definitely put it on the test drive list if the idea appeals to you.

2 Likes

Sounds like overkill unless you are monetizing #vanlife

did you get the high or standard roof? you mentioned high roof, but they both are higher than a minivan. i’ll have to go check one out.

deadening? removed panels and insulated/dynamat?

I was considering getting a passenger and removing the last row or second to last row. I considered crew instead of passenger, but wanted to keep things legit with passenger safety rather than get custom seats. any thoughts or if you’ve done any research on custom seats? Nothing fancy, but a couple rows of all captains chairs would be neat.

so after skiing/sledding this past weekend, we went to in-n-out to eat.
It made me think, a sprinter would be nice to have space for all of us to sit inside and eat together rather than just having a seat eat from.
no, it’s not just about eating but other things we can do in the van like when we go camping and such.

also, Sec 179 would be nice as it is a commercial vehicle I’m sure it would qualify without as many questions as a minivan.

i just think with COVID, maybe these will be harder to come by or to get a good deal on. any one know how much more difficult/easier it is to negotiate on a commercial tiered vehicle?

I’m not a tax lawyer but one would assume 179 requires purchase and commercial use by a business.

Besides, accelerated depreciation isn’t giving you any extra deductions over the life, it’s just allowing you to front load it. All else being equal, are you ready for higher tax bills in subsequent years?

1 Like

^ this (tax lawyer here)

1 Like

I do have a business and can use it for the deduction. I have other depreciation to most likely offset for future years. I’d rather save more now than a little later anyways

@asfarr86 is it true that if it’s a business vehicle such as a passenger Sprinter, it would automatically qualify for Sec 179? No 50+% business use proof and all that as long as I lease/purchase it through the business?

I have a minivan and I have 4 grandkids they are the best for families

1 Like

I really hate to be “that guy” but I can’t provide you legal advice like that off the cuff on a forum like this. I just wanted to make sure you understand there are limitations and make sure to confirm with your tax preparer what you can and cannot qualify for.

2 Likes