Subaru Outback - Should I Order A Car?

I’m trying to get a hack on an Outback Limited XT. However due to lack of inventory no dealers are willing to sell less than MSRP. One connection at a dealer said I can order a car (4-6 month wait) and they would work out a discount on MSRP (for now, 8% off). I’m curious how this works with a lease. So I just lock in the selling price now and then come delivery is when I sign financing with MF/RV as of that date. Or are the numbers as of today?

I also have a Subaru ambassador coupon I want to apply, so understanding the pricing and when I’ll “agree to a deal” would greatly help.

Given how dealers operate in trying to get answers and guidance before going thru next steps. I’m located in New Jersey.

Hey Adam_P. I am also in NJ. I last leased a Subaru pre-covid, so I am sure much has changed.

When I leased my Ascent (ordered, just like you are thinking of doing), I leased from an NYC dealership-- the fees are $85 vs $400-500 in NJ. Also, I was able to snag a loyalty coupon from SOA. YMMV, but you can try too get one to stack with the Ambassador coupon.

Finally, have you asked the dealer what the price would be if you leveraged the Subaru VIP program? I think I got 4% below invoice on my Ascent.

As a point of comparison: local dealer quoted me over $600/mo for same car I am currently driving, before I got access to VIP. My current lease–from NYC dealer–is under $425/month, with just first month out the door (including dealer fees, tax, etc, in the payment). MSRP was $4x,xxx.

There is a thread over on Subaruoutback.org where people have recently gotten no nonsense deals on Outback XTs for 14% off MSRP from Chicago area dealers. I think one was Gerald Subaru. Those might be drying up now. It’s worth getting some out of area quotes as shopping leverage at the least.

I purchased a Limited XT about 10 days ago and got 7% off. It was the crappiest discount I ever got on a car but I needed to stay in-state for my tax credit, it’s slim pickings down here, and they gave me nearly what I paid for my 2 year old trade.

I think the Indiana plant that makes Outback’s just shit down production for a bit due to chip availability. They are also switching to 2022 now I believe, which should be available this summer.

Anyways, good hunting! I am super happy with my XT. It’s not perfect but way better than all the other non-luxury family haulers with no power.

I just dumped my 2020 Outback Limited XT after 16 months to Carvana.

The center console - music, seat heaters, ac is a complete disaster. And the engine, while powerful, isn’t matched well to the suspension and doesn’t deliver the power evenly.

Seats are very comfortable and visibility is terrific.

I was paying 470 a month with zero drive offs here in la. It felt like a sub 400 car.

Thanks. Yeah problem is they closed a bunch of factories and aren’t making cars. So inventory and inbounds are almost non existent. No one is moving on price.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.