Stelvio owners. New brakes at 13k miles? Wtf

Has anyone had to have extreme service on their stelvio like this? I think it was just the stealership trying to rip off my wife. Said she needs new brakes at 13,500 miles. Also tried to get her to spend $600 on some 2 year maintenance they said it needed. And $1300 for a windshield that has a chip. This is Wilmington Alfa. I had great experience with malvern but they couldn’t get an appt as fast…

Well did you look? Do you actually need new brakes or not?

1 Like

This. Not too hard to take a peak and see how much pad is left.

Who knows. Maybe your wife is taking the car to summit point on the weekends?

1 Like

She’s drag racing other soccer moms at red lights :wink:

5 Likes

Definitely a speed racer!

Just seeing if anyone else with a stelvio needed brakes so soon. She’s not horrible on brakes, her last car we returned after 3 years and didn’t need them. I’m not sure if stelvios just eat up brakes or what.

Guess it’s common. I feel bad for people that leases these for 3 years and have to do the 30k maintenance as well.

Not an Alfa but my wife needed rear brakes at 25,000 miles on her XC90. I don’t think I have put brakes on any other leases. I think these new heavier SUVs are part of the issue. I have also heard one brand (forget who it was now) uses a rear brake AWD torque vectoring system, which REALLY wears out the rear brakes fast!

1 Like

25k on a 2018 Stelvio, no sign of needing brakes anytime soon.

I have a Giulia, I don’t need brakes but I had to replace tires at 12k miles. Caused by shitty runflats I guess. my new tires (Yokohama Advans) have 4k miles and looks brand new. Happy to turn mine in at 24 months, love the car but will be glad to avoid 3 year service and/or brakes.

Are we talking pads? Rotors? Both?

Stelvio is a heavier car so it will probably go through pads maybe quicker than a standard sedan, but still 15 does sound on the low side. So they are either BSing or you have a sticky pad / or riding the brake pedal unknowingly.

I would actually take the wheel off and look at the pads and verify their claims

1 Like

Bummer. I was seriously looking at leasing an Alfa, but when I started looking service and maintenance costs like brakes, I decided to pass. Phenomenal cars.

My Land Rover dealer used to try to pull shit like this on me every time I went in. The pads are probably at 50%ish and they’re saying you need new ones. Just go give them a look. Quick google search if you don’t know how to determine how much pad thickness is worn vs ok.

If they are worn, you can easily change them yourself. Plenty of DIYs on google. Did my pads on my LR. Cost me $175 in parts and maybe 2 hours of time. Dealer wanted $1200 for same job.

Still better than Maserati Ghibli – need front brakes every 12-13k miles

My S90 needed rear brakes at about 20k miles. From what I have heard, the adaptive cruise control does all it’s braking with only the rear brakes, going through them a lot faster.

1 Like

Planned obsolescence at its finest. My favorite is when they rate tires for 50k miles and they last 25-30

1 Like

If you have your ducks in a row with maintenance records you can go after the tire maker sometimes and get some money towards new ones if they were rated for a certain mileage and didn’t come close to it. Brakes probably not so much.

1 Like

Sounds like the service writer is short on their quota this month

2 Likes

No I checked. It needs brakes and rotors in the rear at 13,800 miles…

Tires are down to 8/32 as well and I have 8 months to go on a 24 month lease…and I thought a 24 month lease was going to save me on all the maintenance. I only got the stelvio bc it was a great deal and a unique car, no more Chrysler products for me in the future.

1 Like

I’m seeing on some European forums that the 2018 Alfa’s had faulty pads and or rotors. Several people got Alfa to pay for replacement. I’m going to call corporate today and see if they will comp it. I’ll report back.

They already comped all my regular service for the 2 years due to the dealership I bought from never adjusted the air in the tires after the vehicle was shipped. Drove home on like 70 psi tires 1.5 hours. Also they told me I could update the infotainment to CarPlay when I bought it, that was a lie or an ignorant salesman.