State Farm Cancelling My Auto Policy

Try AMICA
800-24-AMICA
Highest integrity, competitive in most cases. Very well rated and immediate customer service when you call.

1 Like

Nobody can beat Erie insurance for me. Itā€™s cheap, has great service and Iā€™ve never had an issue with them. Theyā€™re primarily a NE insurer though.

2 Likes

Maybe escalate within Geico? Despite the national branding, insurance is very local and it sounds like youā€™ve got a Michael Scott-led operation

Ha, I donā€™t want to ruin a good thing ā€” every other insurance quote is over $600/mo here so Iā€™ll just ride this cheap Geico train til I canā€™t any longer, and then find a cheaper state to live in. I guess I donā€™t care much whether theyā€™re responsive or not, since Iā€™ve never had an accident or needed to file a claim outside of the guy that hit my car for some minor damage (that honestly will probably be covered under excess wear and tear).

Pitch that to NBCā€¦the Michael Scott Insurance Agency is the long awaited revival of the office.

1 Like

Seems ironic to be dropped, isnā€™t State Farms the one who promotes the new car replacement thing?

Thanks for all of your help, guys. This was a learning experience for me, as I have never been in this situation before (1st accident). When I found out that her insurance only covered up to 25K and there was about $32.000 owed to Infiniti (lease was only a few months old), i panicked and ran to my insurance to take over the claim (I was also influenced by an attorney), I really had no idea that I had gap insurance worked into my lease after Infiniti was paid out (significantly less than what was owed). Really a frustrating situation that I could have avoided if I took the time to become more informed about my options. Hoping that with a clean driving record and this claim that was not my fault, my rate wont be impacted too much. Thanks again for all of your helpful advice.

I have had Geico for about 10 years before I switched to State Farm. I saved about $100/month by doing so. Reason was that I have two cars, one is a lease and one is owned. I was able to take out two separate policies and decrease the amount of property damage on the owned car, while having the necessary/legal amount of coverage needed on my Q50 lease. Geico did not allow me to do that for some reason. I had to have the same amount of coverage on both .

I appreciate the advice. I do not have a Costco membership, but if I am at lease able to get a quote that is in fact cheaper, it might be worth it for me to pay for the yearly membership.

It sucks, but itā€™s just part of life. Go find another insurance company and move on.

State Farm isnā€™t going after the other driver, the person probably couldnā€™t afford it. Thatā€™s why you need to have good coverage once you grow up! 10/30 coverage wonā€™t pay for crap

Iā€™m surprised their risk analysis is still so basic. A long time ago my gf at the time got the first car in her name, totaled it within the same year and her insurer Geico paid her around 24k IIRC plus a smaller amount to the other party (half ton van with little apparent damage).

A year later, policy renewed with no mention of anything and the car was rear-ended, 100% the other partyā€™s fault, the other partyā€™s insurer paid everything but they promptly dropped her. Made no sense for that incident to be the tipping point in keeping or dropping her.

Sheā€™s had no accidents since then and all the subsequent insurers have been receiving $$$$ in premiums with no payouts. Iā€™m surprised risk models still overestimate someoneā€™s risk after being in not-at-fault incidents. You donā€™t become a larger liability when someone else hits you, especially because the OPā€™s payout was so small.

In State Farmā€™s defense, they may have something in their rate filing regarding loss ratios and automatic non-renewals.

I agree. I had a tree fall on my house during a wind storm last year, and several insurance companies quoted me outrageous prices because of that claim. But the tree canā€™t fall on my house againā€¦

Agreed, Erie covers the cars, house, and holds our umbrella policy and none of the national carriers can come close to Eries service.

We had a very positive experience with Geico in San Diego. My lease had a fender bender with someone 2 months into our lease, Geico was very responsive from the start to the end. The process of meeting with the insurance adjuster, dropping off car, and picking up rental was effortless, it might have been that Geico office in San Diego had it together vs. the Geico in your area.